Manager, FPGA Design Engineer
Wilmington, Massachusetts; Burlington, MassachusettsJob ID SAS20211602-56695
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Manager, FPGA Design Engineer
Job Code: SAS20211602-56695
Job Location: Burlington, MA / Wilmington MA
This position will lead and manage FPGA Firmware Engineering activities in the Space Systems Sector within the Space & Airborne Systems (SAS) Segment of L3Harris. The SAS Segment provides critical mission solutions for space and airborne domains with defense, intelligence, and commercial applications.
- Lead, direct, and review the work of direct report(s) who exercise latitude and independence in their assignments
- Perform Hiring, promotions, compensation planning, and workforce reductions within own organization
- Support proposal efforts in the estimation and planning of end-to-end FPGA development.
- Decompose and allocate system and box-level requirements to FPGA requirements and specifications
- Architect solutions against requirements and implement those solutions in various FPGA technologies or platforms
- Lead small teams of engineers in executing FPGA development of highly reliable and robust FPGA designs
- Follow, enforce, and refine consistent firmware development processes across FPGA designs.
- Develop HDL code for module and top level and generate appropriate testbench and verification environments
- Map FPGA simulation work products to system-level requirements and capabilities
- Synthesize designs to targeted technologies and perform constraint driven place and route and analysis
- Ensure FPGA simulations verify performance, then integrate and test the FPGA on the circuit card assembly
- BS Degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering with 9 years professional experience or a Graduate degree and a minimum of 7 years relevant experience
- Previous management and leadership experience with comprehensive knowledge of FPGA design
- Experience with VHDL, the FPGA design process, and the tools used to generate the FPGA designs.
- Experience building FPGAs with difficult timing and/or difficult routing constraints
- Experience with development of FPGA requirements and specifications.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Secret or Top Secret security clearance
- Version control tools (subversion, git, etc)
- Designing for space environments
- High speed memory interfaces
- High speed serial protocols (PCI Express, SRIO, Ethernet)
- Analog to Digital (AD) and Digital to Analog (DA) interfaces
- Control protocols such I2C, SPI, RS-232/422, and SpaceWire
- Network interfaces and protocols
- Linting and CDC analysis tools
- Xilinx, Microsemi, Intel, and Altera Tool Suites (VHDL, Synthesis, Place and Route, Simulation, Timing Analysis)
- Work in an integrated team environment with Hardware, Software, and Systems Engineering
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.