Lead, Mechanical Engineering - Structural Analyst (TS/SCI Clearance Required)
Wilmington, MassachusettsJob ID SAS20213004-60612
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead, Mechanical Engineering - Structural Analyst - TS/SCI Clearance Required
Job Code: SAS20213004-60612
Job Location: Wilmington, MA
Job Description: Mechanical Engineering – Structural Analyst
Engineer to perform mechanical analysis tasks on complex systems including precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical hardware, opto-mechanical, and complex electronic packaging in a program team environment. This position is responsible for the analysis of composite, metallic, and glass components and assemblies for space, airborne, and ground based systems.
- Interpret design specifications and create finite element models of complex components and assemblies for structural analysis.
- Analyze the models for stress, strain, displacement, modes, etc. at both component and assembly levels.
- Prepare reports, formal documentation, and presentation materials summarizing analysis results and presenting results to both external and internal groups.
- Program support includes mission/requirements definition, concept generation, trade studies, design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and final design, component selection, integration and test support, materials selection, CAD 3D solid modeling, design documentation and collaboration with manufacturing operations for fabrication in a program team environment.
- 9+ years with a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree required or 7+ years of experience with a Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree
- 7+ years of experience with commercial FEA codes and Pre/Post Processors (preferably Nastran and Femap or Patran, would also consider Abaqus or Ansys)
- Active TS/SCI clearance required
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience in aerospace systems with an emphasis on structural/dynamics analysis
- Knowledge of system level hardware design & development, mechanical and structural analysis, payload level integration & test, and risk mitigation for space-based environments.
- Experience with opto-mechanical hardware
- Ability to work independently and within a multi-disciplined team environment
- Experience as a lead engineer, project engineer, or IPT lead is a plus.
- An understanding of structural analysis methods (FEA and hand-calculations)
- Experience in the space industry highly desired
- Familiarity with 3D CAD programs such as Creo or Pro/E
- Experience with computational programming (Matlab, Python, Fortran)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.