Lead, Mechanical Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Lead, Mechanical Engineering
Job Code: SAS20201704-44559
Job Location: Wilmington, MA
Responsible for the design, layout, testing and evaluation of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices or systems. Prepares design specifications, analysis and recommendations for presentation and approval. Analyzes mechanical requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints. Investigates solutions to product or process problems. Consolidates results of mechanical design elements for assigned projects. Conducts investigations involving the origination or modification of material, component or process specifications or requirements. Performs product development activities including drawing board layout
The scope of the position requires a proven track-record with a range of responsibilities from spacecraft requirements flow-down, conceptual trades, design & analysis, and integration & test of payload level sensor systems for the aerospace and commercial community. Scientist level mechanical engineers are responsible for leading engineering analysis and evaluation efforts of complex opto-mechanical systems, leading mechanical subassembly Integrated Product Teams (IPTs), developing alternative designs to satisfy mission level requirements, documenting design approaches, establishing design verification & validation, and developing plans to manufacture and test payload sensor systems. Lead engineers are expected to support new business opportunities, lead program tiger teams, and actively develop junior level staff.
- Requires comprehensive level knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience, or Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience, or equivalent.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Expert knowledge in system level hardware design & development, mechanical and structural analysis, payload level integration & test, and risk mitigation for space-based environments.
- Opto-Mechanical hardware design expertise utilizing structured engineering process from requirement definition through design, development, and testing.
- Expert mechanical structural analysis background
- Experience generating cost & schedule plans and estimates is required
- Experience as a lead engineer, project engineer, or IPT lead
- Experience supporting new business pursuits and proposals efforts is desired
- Experience with payload interfaces to spacecraft
- Aerospace mechanisms experience highly desired
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills for interfacing with senior management and customers as well as mentoring of junior engineers
- Existing TS/SCI (SSBI) security clearance or the ability to satisfy requirements for a TS/SCI (SSBI)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.