Senior Principal, Government Relations
Washington, DCJob ID CHQ20210202-56021
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Description: The Senior Principal, Government Relations, will report directly to Vice President, Government Relations for L3Harris Technologies and be responsible for advocacy efforts on behalf of L3Harris. This position will be responsible for developing a coherent and agile political strategy that enables L3Harris Technologies to advance multiple objectives that contribute to the success of the space sector business objectives.
- Working with the space business sector to develop advocacy strategy that supports program funding with appropriate House / Senate authorization and appropriations committees, including the intel committees
- Plan and guide engagement around cyclical government affairs processes and internal strategic plans
- Develop networks and manage relationships with key figures in the US Congress, Republican and Democratic, both authorizers and appropriators - in support of our global and domestic agenda as well as Space Development Agency and Space Force
- Monitor and lead analysis of and communicate internally on cross-cutting Presidential or Administration actions, orders, or legislative actions, and develop appropriate responses by L3Harris Technologies
- Prepare white papers and other campaign materials to support advocacy efforts
- Requires both advanced business knowledge and highest level of technical mastery in functional area
- Leadership capability to guide business or functional teams without formal management role
Year one critical success factors:
- Develop strong partner relationships with key leaders of the company across the business segments
- Evaluate the Company’s processes and programs and initiate legislative strategies with inputs from business leaders to drive strategic growth opportunities
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 15 years of prior related experience or a Graduate Degree with a minimum of 13 years of prior related experience. At least 5 years of experience in progressively responsible leadership positions
- Prior related experience must include:
- Experience effectively advocating on behalf of a company before Congress, the administration and relevant executive branch agencies on key policy priorities
- Customer interaction / exposure to the Department of Defense, the Intelligence Community
- Experience with Military Services & Acquisition Process, US Budgetary process, and the Program Objective Memorandum process
- Prior related experience must include:
- At least 5 years of Congressional experience with a demonstrated track record
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Candidate must have TS/SCI clearance or be able to obtain clearance
- Strong policy background with the proven ability to understand and analyze complex issues across various policy areas
- Demonstrated experience analyzing complex budget information and communicating trends effectively using tools such as power point
- Experience working with business segments, both collectively and individually, to drive policy consensus and effectively represent organization interests
- High energy, self-motivated with a solid work ethic and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of the political and military environment and an appreciation of the various cultural customs and norms
- Strong collaborator and team player
- Effective communicator with strong writing and power point skills
- Superior ethical standards
- Collaborative, positive, team player—willingness to jump in and support our team members as needed
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work occasional weekends
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.