Technical Writing Specialist
Waco, TexasJob ID IMS20210904-59476
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Technical Writing Specialist
Job Code: TWP3
Job Location:Waco, TX 76705
L3Harris is actively seeking for a Technical Writing Specialist for our facility located in Waco, TX 76705 for a direct hire position. We offer competitive benefits and great relocation package.
- Creates, develops, plans, writes and edits aircraft technical manuals for operational, instructional, maintenance or test procedures for paper, multimedia or web-based publication.
- Conducts interviews with various users and technical staff to gather data for documentation.
- Documents engineering processes and specifications.
- Recommends formats responsive to technical and customer requirements.
- Authors and/or edits operation and maintenance instruction manuals, flight manuals, illustrated parts catalog/breakdown manuals, troubleshooting / fault isolation manuals, and wiring manuals.
- Author and/or edit technical manuals for proper style, grammar, and consistency.
- Administer the technical manual review process.
- Maintain document / configuration control of work products.
- Review work products for compliance to specifications and contractual requirements.
- Work within a team organization and contribute to professional discussions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (e.g. technical field, technical writing) and minimum 4 years of prior relevant experience or 2 years post-Secondary/ Associates Degree and a minimum of 8 years of prior related experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication abilities.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio) and Adobe Pro
- Maintenance background with C-130 or other military aircraft
- Must be able to obtain a Security Clearance.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience with technical writing of aircraft flight and maintenance manuals.
- Experience with structured publishing software (e.g. Interleaf Quicksilver, Adobe FrameMaker, Arbor Text Editor)
- Airframe & Powerplant License
- Experience with industry and/or military requirements (e.g. iSpec 2200, MIL-STD-38784, MIL-STD-1808, MIL-DTL-38807)
- Experience with document / configuration control tools (e.g. Teamcenter, Subversion)
- Experience with software tools used to automate repetitive functions in various software products (i.e. Visual Basic macros, Adobe batch processes)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.