Senior Specialist Aerospace Engineering – Astrodynamics
Virginia; Maryland; Columbia, MarylandJob ID SAS20211903-58337
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Specialist Aerospace Engineering – Astrodynamics
Job Code: SAS20211903-58337
Job Location: Columbia, MD
L3Harris is seeking an experienced Aerospace Engineer to perform analysis, algorithm development, and flight software development to support space- and multi-domain missions. The candidate will be involved with the development, evaluation, and maintenance of ground-based tools that perform mission planning, predicted data generation, and safety evaluation for spacecraft. This will require a level of coding capabilities to support script development, so a willingness to learn is necessary if not already an existing skill.
- Responsible for creating models and simulations through the integration of astrodynamics or other software (e.g., STK, GMAT) for use in analyses.
- Responsible for developing algorithms to model and simulate phenomena not found in existing astrodynamics or other software.
- The candidate will work with software development teams to design and implement new flight software capabilities.
- Performing analyses with and testing on simulation tools developed to support tool capability requirements and meet verification and validation needs.
- Performing analyses on system engineering requirements and determine designs and alternatives to meet requirements.
- Interaction with customers and provides input to project managers on programmatic and technical deliverables under guidance of senior technical personnel.
- May act as a technical lead for limited aspects of a project.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 6+ years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or other Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a related discipline. Alternatively, 4 years of prior related experience with a Graduate Degree.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience with spacecraft Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) strongly desired, including rendezvous and proximity operations (RPO), guidance/control algorithm design, and navigation filter design.
- Experience with Space Domain Awareness (SDA) algorithms strongly desired, including orbit determination, initial orbit determination, conjunction assessment, and processing of multi-phenomenology sensor data.
- Experience in supporting modeling, simulation, and analysis of space related problems desired. Active Secret security clearance
- Experience working with software development teams and associated Agile development processes, including repository management and git workflows.
- Familiarity with C++, Java, and .NET strongly desired.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite programs: MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Effective organization level communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Software: Astrodynamics tools (STK/Astrogator, GMAT, or equivalent), Orbit Determination tools (ODTK, OD++, or equivalent),
- Experience with MATLAB, Python, Parallel Computing, UNIX/Linux, Docker
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.