Lead, Facilities Engrg
Vandenberg Air Force Base, CaliforniaJob ID SAS20211803-58311
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead, Facilities Engineer
Job Code: SAS20211803-583311
Job Location: Vandenberg AFB, CA
Job Description: L3Harris is currently seeking an experienced Facilities Engineer for Spaceport Systems International (SSI) programs at Vandenberg AFB, CA. SSI supports multiple Government and Commercial Payload Processing and launch vehicle integration activities in a secure environment. The Facilities Engineer:
- Plans, designs and oversees the reconfiguration, maintenance, construction and alteration of equipment, machinery, buildings, structures, and other facilities.
- Gathers and reviews data concerning facility or equipment specifications, company or government restrictions and guidelines, required completion schedule, and execution feasibility.
- Coordinates with architecture and engineering firms in developing design criteria and preparing layout and detail drawings.
- Prepares bid sheets, project justification, statement of work documents and contracts for construction and facilities acquisition.
- Reviews and estimates design costs including equipment, installation, labor, materials, preparation, and other related costs.
- Responsible for managing to approve budgets and approving contracts and purchases.
- Oversees the construction and installation to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, cost and schedule.
- Facility Engineer is responsible for:Represent the organization on all contracts. Prepare and deliver presentations as required
- Design, fabrication, installation, testing and documentation of modifications for all facility systems including providing detailed instructions, drawings, or specifications to assist technicians with how equipment or systems are to be fabricated, constructed, assembled, modified, maintained, or used.
- Problem reporting and root cause analysis for all facility systems
- Participating in the engineering configuration control process to include development of Engineering Change Requests and the supporting documentation
- Analysis of all facility systems with an eye for improvements in maintenance and operations.
- Oversee testing of critical facility systems.
- Set up and operate test equipment to evaluate performance of critical facility systems under simulated operating conditions, record result and provide data/quality records at project reviews.
- Review existing mechanical/electrical engineering criteria and procedures to identify necessary revisions, deletions or amendments to outdated material.
- Perform operations and maintenance engineering that encompasses the maintenance, repair, and operation of the critical facilities systems utilized during spacecraft processing.
- Apply system engineering experience to perform functions such as system integration, configuration management and quality assurance testing to ensure compliance with integrated master schedule.
- Respond to all off-shift facility anomalies and document discrepancies to determine root cause and provide action plans for corrective action.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree in engineering and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience.
- 9+ years of experience preparing bid sheets, project justification, statement of work documents and contracts for construction and facilities acquisition.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Communicate both orally and written in a clear and concise manner
- Read, understand, and work from Standard Operating Procedures, electrical drawings, and Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Able to supervise contractors and vendors performing work in the facility as needed
- Capable of walking and moving around job site
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently within a cross-functional team
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage/accommodate multiple projects simultaneously
- Design, installation and testing of modifications to the following systems:Proficiency in 3D CAD, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project)
- Pneumatic/Compressed Air Systems
- HVAC/Clean Room Systems
- Sewage and Water systems
- Electrical Systems
- Digital Control Systems
- Emergency Power systems
- Chill water systems
- Air handlers
- Pneumatic actuators
- Desiccant dryers
- Diesel generators
- Un-Interruptible power supplies
- Reciprocating & centrifugal compressors
- Moisture & particulate filtration
- Maintenance Management and Scheduling
- Inventory & spares
- Life Cycle maintenance
- Clean Room Operations and Protocols
- Crane Operations and Protocols and sustainment
- Developing Purchase Requisitions for Sub-contracting
- Make/buy value assessments
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.