Director, Business Development
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Director, Business Development Engines
Job Code: AS20201409-50597
Job Location: Muskegon, MI This position will not be geographically restricted
Job Description: As the Director, Business Development, Engines Business, this leader will focus on targeting organic growth initiatives and identifying strategic actions to broaden L3 CPS’ global reach as well as increase business to the prime defense contractors. This individual will be responsible for building the near-term pipeline for organic growth while opening doors to international expansion. This leader will be tasked with ensuring excellence in delivery of business development activities, identifying ways that the company can approach new business opportunities.
- Support the Engines Business by ensuring that the annual business plan orders target is either met or exceeded.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the pursuit cycle: influence, capture intelligence, communicate, understand environment, communicate winning strategy/solution, establish ‘Price to Win’, assist with business case, respond, follow up, and close.
- Direct marketing/sales activities of products and/or services to government agencies or private firms doing business with the government.
- Develop short- and long-term objectives aligned with the organization and communicate goals to upper management.
- Acts as an advisor to management on status or action required in connection with existing and potential business opportunities.
- Effectively position L3 CPS within the market by analyzing competitor’s prices, sales, and method of operation
- Be active in the market searching for business opportunities, maintains surveillance and with the ability to perform financial analysis of acquisition candidates.
- Ability to prepare acquisition proposals, and recommend strategic objectives and alternatives and implement and maintain strategic and operational plans.
- Coordinating with cross-functional management within the Program Management, Contracts and Engineering departments to evaluate marketing strategies for new and existing products or services.
- Plan, coordinate and execute business reviews, strategic planning exercises, resource planning, budgetary analysis, and opportunity mapping.
- Up to date with industry knowledge by performing competitive market intelligence to understand the execution strategies of prime contractors and competitors.
- Own and maintain the capture process effectiveness measures and instill a winning culture within BD and the organization.
- Uphold a high ethical standard with all business dealings concerning the company.
- Must have the ability to travel up to 50% domestic and international.
- A team-oriented attitude and ability to perform other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of US DoD Foreign Military Sales Process and existing international customer network, with focus on Middle East.
- Bachelor Degree in an engineering discipline or business related, MBA preferred.
- 15+ years of experience in a customer facing, business development or strategic planning role within a global matrixed organization with the DoD and Defense prime Contractors as a primary customer. Direct Military Experience at a leadership level is a plus.
- A proven track record of building customer and industry relationships.
- 5+ years of international business experience required.
- Professional experience or background in military track or wheeled vehicle market.
- Excellent written and oral communication/presentation skills
- Capability to think strategically and execute tactically using integrative thinking skills with a strong foundation in data driven problem solving.
- Depth and breadth in business acumen across the major functional disciplines including Program Management, Engineering, Operations, Finance, Contracts, Business Development, Marketing and Sales
- Well versed in proposal creation, contract execution and FARs/DFARS.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Previously held security clearance preferred. Ability to get security clearance required
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.