Manager, UAS Flight Operations
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Manager, UAS Flight Operations
Position: req # 20202110-52057
Location: Tucson, AZ
As a Manager, UAS Flight Operations, you will manage an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) flight operations department. Establish operating procedures and policies to include standard flight operations and ground operations policies and safety policies. Ensure compliance with DCMA and FAA requirements in addition to company procedures. Primary UAV flight operations liaison to US and foreign militaries, Department of Defense, and other government agencies.
This position supports the Advanced Systems & Technologies (AS&T) division, which specializes in developing disruptive, next-generation technologies for advanced Unmanned Air Systems (UAS / UAV), advanced radar systems, next-generation weapon systems, and other RF sensor technologies using small company agility and big company experience.
- Manage a team of UAV pilots and contractors in CONUS and OCONUS operations
- Recruit and staff the flight operations team, including Mission Commanders (MCs), Air Vehicle Operators (AVOs), Payload Operators (PLOs) and Maintenance Technicians
- Responsible for career development of flight operations department personnel
- Establish UAS flight operating procedures and policies
- Establish and maintain training and proficiency of flight operations and maintenance staff
- Coordinate and approve test cards for UAV flight testing and demos
- Coordinate and request FAA restricted airspace as necessary
- Interact with customers, technical and production staff
- Provide staff/support of factory acceptance test flights of new aircraft
- Make recommendations for product quality and reliability
- Identify and pursue business development opportunities
- Reviews schedules and budgets with program managers
- Approves project expenses related to execution of flight operations functions
- Influence the overall objectives and long-range goals of the business division
- Acts as a Principal investigator on Accident/Incident Review Committees
- Other duties as assigned
- U.S. citizen
- Existing DoD clearance with a current 5-year update; must be able to obtain additional clearances as required
- B.S. in related Professional Aviation, Engineering discipline or Management
- Minimum 9 years prior related experience with minimum 6 years of experience in Tier 2,3 or 4 UAV flight operations
- FAA Commercial and Instrument Pilot Certifications
- DCMA Government Flight Representative course completion required
- UAV flying and technical experience required, instructor highly desired.
- Mission Commander (MC) and Air Vehicle Operator (AVO) certifications with Piccolo autopilot
- OCONUS UAV deployment experience years of exp
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Must be able to qualify for an FAA Class I or II Airman’s Medical
- Extensive, extended, continuous travel, including international travel, required.
- Overtime/weekend work may be required.
- US passport required.
- Excellent leadership, people management, communication and influencing skills at a senior level
- Ability to manage and influence key stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, interpersonal and negotiation skills are required for effective interface with all contacts at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Excellent people skills, with experience leading and collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to organizational success.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience and knowledge in OSHA and DCMA procedures and safety requirements.
- 2 years personnel training, evaluating and supervisory experience
- 2 years UAV testing experience
- UAV External Pilot qualifications
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.