Composite Technician B
Tucson, ArizonaJob ID AS20211703-58257
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Composite Technician B
Position: req #AS20211703-58257
Location: Tucson, AZ
As a Composite Technician B you will work in a dynamic, fast paced environment with a focus on quality and attention to detail. Required tasks will include the fabrication of composites using various techniques and types of materials, composites integration, prototyping, painting, composites trimming and bonding, etc.
This position supports the Advanced Systems & Technologies (AS&T) division, which specializes in developing disruptive, next-generation technologies for advanced Unmanned Air Systems (UAS / UAV), advanced radar systems, next-generation weapon systems, and other RF sensor technologies using small company agility and big company experience.
- Performs all duties required to fabricate and integrate composite parts and assemblies. Tasks required may include:
- Constructs wet layups and/or Pre-Pregs of carbon fiber, fiberglass, and/or Kevlar utilizing various methods such as compression molds, vacuum bagging, and compression bladders
- Operates ovens to complete bonding cycle. Controls conditions of heat and time by setting and operating various controls according to the specifications for the materials and the bonding agents being used
- Performs minor part-fitting operations such as filing, sawing, burring, crimping, trimming, framing, riveting, drilling, and reaming
- Bonds a variety of materials (composite, metal, or laminate) to parts, components, assemblies, equipment or structures to complete semi-finished or finished products
- Documents new processes, recommends updates for existing processes, and reviews drawings in support of engineering
- Designs and utilizes new templates to be cut out on a laser table or CNC cutting table
- Monitors and verifies quality of finished product. Measures parts with micrometers and calipers to verify dimensions
- Able to obtain and maintain DoD clearance and additional clearances as required
- Other duties as required
- U.S. citizen
- High school diploma or equivalent with 4 years’ experience in aviation maintenance / manufacturing, at least 0 - 1 years of which is in composites fabrication, or;
- Secondary education with at least 0 - 1 years of composite fabrication experience
- Familiarity with various shop equipment including cutting/grinding tools, composite curing ovens, manual mills and lathes, table saw, band saws, etc.
- With guidance displays the ability to read and understand drawings, procedures, and/or schedules
- Knowledge and understanding of product quality processes
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Additional education degree or technician certifications
- Existing active clearance
- Aircraft A&P
- Experience working in an environment that implements lean practices
- Experience working in an environment that implements ESD and FOD controls
- Aircraft production experience is a plus
- Excellent people skills, with experience leading and collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment.
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to organizational success
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, & presentation)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.