Power Electronics Design Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Power Electronics Design Engineer
Job Code: AS20210604-59249
Job Location: Torrance, CA
We currently have an opportunity for an Electrical Engineer to perform power electronics and analog circuit development and test support, including performance measurements for high density switching power converters, compact magnetic components, power filters, feedback control loop measurements, and high voltage circuits. You'll support development, design, and production of high voltage switching power supplies for space-qualified traveling wave tube amplifiers (TWTA) used in communication satellites. Your projects will require troubleshooting with proposed solutions, analog/digital circuit design and analysis, coordination between team members, review of customer requirements, and documentation.
- 2-3 years of experience in the design of switching power supplies processing up to several hundred watts of power.
- Knowledge of DC-to-DC converter operation and topologies.
- Knowledge of analog and digital circuit design fundamentals, test, and development techniques.
- Solid working knowledge of control loop design and stability criteria.
- Knowledge of magnetic (transformer and inductor) design for switching power supply applications.
- Experience with troubleshooting hardware problems and root cause analysis.
- Experience with electrical stress analysis and derating calculations.
- Experience with worst-case circuit analysis with respect to operating environments.
- Experience with MIL-HDBK-217 reliability analysis.
- Knowledge of test methods for EMC (MIL-STD 461/462).
- Experience with one or more circuit simulation tools, such as LTSPICE or SIMetrix.
- Experience working with high voltage (3kV to 20 kV).
- Knowledge of high reliability, military, and space application requirements.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to offer creative solutions.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with test technicians, assembly personnel, engineers, customers, and suppliers.
- A bachelor's degree in electrical engineering is needed; a relevant master’s degree is desirable.
- Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information requiring a security clearance.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Knowledge of high voltage switching power supply design and test techniques.
- Experience with design verification testing.
- Experience with measurement of microwave amplifier performance.
- Experience with internal and customer design reviews.
- Experience with RF systems.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.