Safety & Reliability Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
L3Harris has employees in a number of different countries across the world. We are providing opportunities to work on challenging and stimulating projects, together with purposeful career development, a great working environment and competitive total reward offerings to ensure that we are able to attract the best talent who can enjoy rewarding careers with L3Harris.
Job Title – Reliability & Safety Engineer
Job Location – Brighton, UK
Job ID – SAS20200809-50355
About the role:
We are looking for a Safety & Reliability Engineer to join our team in Brighton working on complex electronics, mechanical, electro-mechanical and pneumatic subsystems.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Calculate product reliability by carrying out analysis using 217Plus (MIL-HDBK-217F), NPRD and/or Bellcore/Telcordia to calculate failure rates, MTBF’s and other calculations related to reliability.
- Familiarity with DEF STAN 00-40, DEF STAN 00-42 and MIL-HDBK-338B to understand and interpret customer / internal RM&T specifications to extract technical requirements.
- Develop, coordinate and conduct technical RMS studies and evaluations of engineering designs relative to ; reliability predictions, Safety Management Plans, Fault Tree Analysis, FMECA’s, Hazardous Materials List, Hazard Analysis etc.
- Write safety cases using DEF STAN 00-56 including supporting documentation.
- Analyze Failure Modes Effects and Criticality Analyses in accordance with MIL-STD-1629 tasks and/or SAE ARP4761.
- Reliability prediction experience using MIL-HDBK-217, Telcordia, NSWC, and/or PRISM.
- Parts selection and control, testability, and failure reporting and corrective action resolution in accordance with a military/aerospace requirements.
- Parts stress de-rating
- Fault Tree Analysis
- Testability and BIT coverage analyses
- System Safety Hazard Analysis (military programs) MIL-STD 882
- Analysis of logistics elements such as Spares Provisioning, Level of Repair Analysis and/or Life-Cycle Cost analysis.
Experience & Skills:
- Qualified in Engineering, Math, Physics or related engineering field or equivalent experience
- Experience working within the guidelines of RMS Government Specifications, Handbooks and applications.
- Experience with reliability analysis of aircraft and space equipment, military and commercial.
- Experience with reliability prediction software- e.g. RELEX, Weibull Block SIM,
- Goal Structure Notation (GSN) experience would be very advantageous Interest in forensic engineering, failure analysis, root cause and corrective action.
- Desirable to have a diversified background in the areas of Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, Electro-Mechanical, and Safety Engineering fields.
- A background in complex Military or Aerospace systems is a benefit.
- Knowledge of software reliability and software reliability models is a plus.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws.