L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Production Manager
Job Location – Brighton, UK
Job ID – SAS20202511-53655
We are seeking a Production Manager to join our team in Brighton reporting to our Operations Director. You will lead a team of 10 within an operations team environment and be responsible for the production build and assembly of complex portfolio of defence products ensuring cost budgets, quality conformance & schedule are achieved ensuring customer satisfaction & a safe working environment.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Supervise labour, prioritise, control and organise the processes within the department.
- Ensure all team members are suitably and appropriately trained on products to allow the maximum flexibility of skills and resource levels to meet company needs & maintain the skills matrix accordingly
- Liaise with other Team Leaders, Production Control, Purchasing, program IPT’s and the Operations Director to agree production requirements to achieve timely & conforming customer schedules.
- Maintain a clean and well organised working environment by applying & ensuring 5S+1 principles are routinely & robustly followed.
- Maintain safe working environment & culture by ensuring health & safety regulations and requirements are followed & any health & safety risks are instantly flagged.
- Develop a team engagement approach to achieve agreed targets of quality, quantity, cost and on-time delivery.
- Maintain discipline, morale & well-being of all team members.
- Encourage team engagement with open honest team-working based interaction with all reporting personnel
- Ensure all team time & attendance booking is completed, reviewed & authorised.
- Ensure the Assembly & Fitting team follow processes and current work instructions.
- Collaborate with Production Control to ensure suitable resource planning to support the order book & company strategy. Justify resource level adjustments to the Operations Director.
- Ensure full traceability is maintained on all manufactured products at all times
- Review, recommend & justify plant improvement in support of optimised manufacture.
- Monitor, review and implement process improvements to ensure budgeted cost is maintained, improved & proactively assist in cost reduction and efficiency improvements. minimising waste
- Evaluate and report root cause & corrective actions on non-conformances such as scrap and rework.
- Drive improvements utilising Lean methodologies, systematic problem solving, and process improvement plans to deliver best value.
- Carry out all ERP transactions necessary for labour booking, work order operation transactions, despatching to inspection etc.
- Monitor shop stock levels & Shelf life of products stored within the Assembly departments
- Track & report department performance indicators to ensure best labour productivity results.
- Assist with new product launch by working closely IPT’s MED & Design engineers ensuring key milestones are achieved.
Experience & Skills:
- Substantial experience managing a team in a high complex development manufacturing environment & building trusting relationships with reports & peers, preferably within the aerospace/defence industry.
- Strong understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
- Experience & qualification in Lean Six Sigma with Green belt certification or similar.
- Experience working in an ISO9001/AS9100 environment.
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment.
- Planning and prioritising skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fully computer literate including as a minimum, detailed knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint XL and Project & experience of ERP use.
- Qualifications in either ONC, HNC, City & Guilds Level 3, BTec National Diploma Level 3, IVQ Technician Diploma or equivalent with substantial relevant work experience in a manufacturing/mechanical engineering domain.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws.