L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Mechanical Engineer
Job Location – Brighton, UK
Job ID – SAS20201411-53133
About the role:
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join our team in Brighton to support the development and application of L3Harris products through the product development life cycle; including warranty investigations, design response, manufacturing maturation and reliability & maintainability methods of development. The role will cover technology acquisition in all disciplines (mechanical electrical and systems), detailed requirements specification, ensuring adherence to best engineering practices and principals, and design assurance testing.
Experience & Skills Required:
- Mechanical Engineering qualification
- Demonstrable experience working as a Mechanical Engineer within a mechanical product development environment with exposure to other disciplines (Electrical, Electronic, Controls etc.)
- Solid engineering knowledge and able to perform hand calculation to ensure design solution is feasible.
- CAD and PDM proficient
- In depth knowledge of BS8888 and Geometric Tolerancing
- Use of design tools (DFM, DFA, DFMEA) to optimise design, product cost and through put.
- Thorough understanding of Operations, ERP, MRP, Configuration Control and PDM.
- Understanding of legislative requirement of products and product development.
- Thorough understanding of the full product and product development life cycle including ILS, service and End Of Life.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Develop design solutions which satisfy all requirements, exceed stake holder expectations and delight customers. Ensure full compliance with requirements either by analysis (FEA, hand-calcs, etc) and/or by physical testing. This may cover new products designs or design improvements which may be customer funded or internally funded research and development. All Design/Development activities are done within in a Systems Engineering and Configuration Management environment.
- Develop; analytical methods, “Design Criteria”, and Performance Standards. Apply general product design/competency and specialist knowledge in the relevant design methods, tools & discipline(s), to achieve efficiently the product design and engineering tasks allocated.
- Provide Technical Guidance to other engineers on a diverse range of engineering topics. This will include working concurrently with purchasing and manufacturing to ensure repeatable and reliable manufacture, assembly and operation by supporting them with general engineering and product design advice and information that may assist their more effective manufacture and inspection/test tasks
- To assist, perform or participate in team projects in a profession manner to ensure objectives are achieved to schedule and within budget.
- To assist in the drive for new product and engineering changes through definition and validation to product release. Take ownership of products and designs to ensure all round excellence in the finished product.
- As part of a team, investigate and report on product performance in terms of field performance and in-house testing in order to meet customer/application/market needs. This will require assessment and prioritisation of product design and analysis tasks/projects.
- As required to investigate product failures, field and customer concerns in a focused and methodical manner to ensure root cause is correctly identified and appropriate corrective actions are initiated.
- To ensure (where appropriate) that product life cycle information is fed into service manual and planned maintenance schedules, FMEA and other relevant documentation.
- To apply your general product design/competency and specialist knowledge in the relevant design methods, tools & discipline(s), to achieve efficiently or assist others to achieve effectively the product design and engineering tasks allocated.
- To operate CAD & FEA systems and their associated programs for mechanical design & analysis.
- To continuously review and keep abreast of new products and technology relevant to your role.
- To provide internal and external customer’s with product design information where necessary
- To support the Quality Group in their tasks related to product design and the company generally in conforming to relevant quality standards.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws.