Lead IRAD Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Lead IRAD Engineer
Job Location – Brighton, UK
Job ID – SAS20200610-51452
About the role:
We are looking for a Lead IRAD Engineer to join our team in Brighton, reporting to the Head of Engineering. The Lead IRAD Engineer will be responsible for planning and directing (technical, schedule and budget) the development and application of L3Harris (Brighton) products through the early part of the product development life cycle, for Internally Funded Research and Development (IRAD) activities. This will cover technology acquisition in all disciplines (mechanical, electrical and systems), detailed requirements specification, ensuring adherence to best engineering practices and principals, and design assurance testing.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Understand future Company (local and global), Product and Market strategies and the Technology Requirements to deliver against those strategies.
- Manage IRAD projects to achieve technical performance (meeting requirements), on time delivery (schedule) and to cost (budgetary control).
- Determine resource requirements and manage that resource to ensure successful on time delivery for the development project lifecycle and mile stones.
- Generate Specifications, Conceptual Solutions (electrical/electronic and mechanical), and Systems Design proposals. Define the “Root to Certification”.
- With the support of function experts manage all elements of the Engineering solution delivery including; Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Production Engineering (DFM, etc.), Drawing Release, Analytical Engineering, Performance Engineering (Gas Modelling), Systems and Requirements Management, Safety and Reliability Engineering, ILS, Configuration Management, Verification, Qualification and Design Assurance testing
- Manage; analysis, report writing, and testing, to provide evidence and assurance that resulting designs and products meeting the requirements of their specification including cost targets.
- Assist with the Integration of IRAD funded development into specific applications as part of Customer Funded Development Programmes.
- Ensure adequate engagement with all stake holders, as early as possible in the design process utilising best practice design tools (DFM/DFA, DFMEA).
- Develop cost models and resource estimates for completing IRAD projects and manage expenditure in line with the estimate on approval and programme launch. Earned Value Management principals will be used to report expenditure and progress.
- Ensure compliance with industry and legislative standards and directives throughout the development process.
- Foster a creative, innovative, can-do environment and be constantly vigilant for new ideas and product opportunities and be aware of changing market trends.
- Identify partners, consultancies and agencies that can assist in all stages of the product development and innovation process.
Experience & Skills:
- A qualified Engineer with extensive experience of being an engineering leader with a flair for innovation and problems solving
- Experience of working within the Aerospace/Defence product development industry
- Thorough understanding of Manufacturing and Operations and how they relate to the Product development life cycle.
- A proven successful track record of managing design based Engineering Development Programs with the following skills;
- Defence/Government Agency experience
- Budget planning and management (Development Project Lifecycle).
- Used to working with diverse range of tasks with changing priorities.
- Working to tight deadlines
- Able to deal effectively with foreign military and civilian officials, as well as prime contractors and commercial teammates.
- Specification writing and implementation
- Configuration management
- KPI performance reporting
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws.