L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Design Engineer
Job Location – Brighton, UK
Job ID – SAS20212101-55367
About the role:
We are seeking a Design Engineer to join our team in Brighton. You will report to our Mechanical Engineering Team Lead and join our team of Design Engineers, Mechanical Engineers and Drafts persons.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Assimilate customer requirements and estimate labour and material costs
- Generate conceptual solutions and design proposals, and guide draughts persons and other engineers to produce detailed CAD design layouts and manufacturing drawings
- Calculate first order strength and performance of design solutions
- Select appropriate materials for a durable, minimum cost product
- Choose material forming solutions suitable for the duty and quantity of components to be made
- Check design drawings for completeness and accuracy
- Select and source proprietary parts/components that are fit for purpose
- Investigate problems, find solutions and write reports
- Compile design specifications, test specifications, test reports and user manuals
- Follow procedures to meet the requirements of ISO-9001
- Represent the Company at customer and supplier meetings
- Be prepared to assist with other engineering duties (e.g. testing, experimentation, modelling, CAD design etc.) as work-load may demand from time to time
- Be constantly vigilant for new ideas and product opportunities by reading trade journals and tracking market trends
- Analyse and decide on courses of action for NCRs, Production Permits and concessions relating to mechanical engineering
- Supervise specific projects, designs and sub-contractors
- Actively manage the Configuration Control of all data packs, including implementation of design change requests
- Liaise with Production Engineering to ensure optimum choice of production methods and materials for economic manufacture
- Report resource and technical problems when they become evident.
- Comply with QA requirements and QA procedures
Experience & Skills:
- Qualified by Mechanical Engineering Degree or HNC/HND
- Ability to resolve design problems and challenges quickly and ingeniously
- Experience of designing low product costs into the design from the outset
- Extraordinary effort to be made to rectify delays and overcome difficulties
- Substantial design and 3D CAD (Solidworks or similar tools)
- Experience across multiple sectors including aerospace (or similar industry such as defence, automotive)
- Experience of liaising with Shop Floor/Manufacturing stakeholders
- Full life cycle design
- Mechanical Detailing (some electrical knowledge an advantage).
- Experience with mechanisms and pneumatics is an advantage
- Ability to perform work accurately and with minimal supervision
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance relevant to the country of the position. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws.