L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Sr Associate Quality Engineer
Job Code: QEP2
Job Location: Somerville, MA
At L3Harris Somerville, we build batteries. We want you to help us build them better.
The Senior Associate, Quality Engineering is responsible for establishing and sustaining the processes and procedures to ensure that material and products conform to defined requirements. Position requirements include early stage engagement with new product introduction teams to develop performance requirements, product qualification/validation strategies, and executable inspection and test programs to assure long term mechanical product quality. Areas of data tracking and auditing include in-process production and supplier incoming quality. The Quality Engineer will also drive continuous process improvement initiatives by applying the key principles of Lean Six Sigma and play a key role in support of the Quality Management System. This position is also responsible for maintaining the site’s L3Harris e3 program for continuous improvement savings.
This position may also be responsible to collaborate with the ISO Management Representative and provide guidance, instruction, direction and leadership across the organization to ensure alignment and compliance with the Quality Management System (QMS), ISO standard, customer contract requirements, and site documentation maintenance.
- Build the Quality framework from the ground up.
- Facilitate and maintain internal and external corrective action program and lead the closure of open actions.
- Support day-to-day on-site Operations through sustaining quality assurance requirements, awareness, and effective problem solving.
- Drive continuous improvement (L3Harris e3 program) projects to streamline build operations, eliminate scrap, reduce rework operations, and document savings.
- Maintain assembly documentation and test procedures to ensure and maintain high build quality
- Ensure all processes, fixtures, and equipment used in manufacturing have adequate documentation such as test plans, functional specifications, system documentation, user guides (operation, calibration, and maintenance), component assembly drawings, BOMS and purchase specifications.
- Collaborate with design and development engineers to ensure all product and system requirements are defined and documented for a controlled process implementation in production.
- Provide Quality support and perform Incoming Inspection and other in-process Inspection as required.
- Prepare product quality reports and metrics tracking charts as required.
- Establish and maintain good rapport with customers, government source inspectors, and outside auditors and lead closure of action items for areas of concern by these representatives.
- Perform contract and document review as necessary to identify quality requirements.
- Maintain site calibration program; site assembly and test documentation; and regulatory compliance for materials, products, and facilities audits as required.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance, if required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or similar technical field and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience or 2 years post-Secondary/ Associates Degree and a minimum of 6 years of prior related experience. Graduate Degree or equivalent with 0 to 2 years of prior related experience.
- Experience in electromechanical production environments solving conformance related issues
- Must have demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Exceptional interpersonal, leadership and decision-making skills.
- Excellent analytical, project management and organizational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Must be able to exhibit a positive attitude and communicate clearly and effectively, and, most importantly, promote collaboration among the team by listening intently to what others are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions when appropriate, and allowing others to speak without interruption.
- Excellent computer skills with strong proficiency in Windows™ interface, Microsoft Office™ package (Microsoft Outlook®, Microsoft Excel®, Microsoft Word®, Microsoft PowerPoint®, Microsoft Access®), Microsoft Project®.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience in Lean manufacturing techniques preferred
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification or equivalent experience is a plus
- Functional experience using MRP software is a plus
- Strong knowledge and prior experience working with Federal Department of Defense (DOD)/US Navy/Military (MIL), etc., and government contracting requirements preferred
- Understanding of Government contracting requirements, such as FAR, ITAR, etc., and demonstrated knowledge of business challenges and opportunities driven by technology and regulations unique to the Defense market a plus
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.