Sr Systems Engineer
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
- FULL TIME
- LEVEL: VARIES
- TRAVEL: NONE
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
Dress for your day
Adoption Cost Benefit
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Senior, Systems Engineer
Job Code: IMS20201108-49038
Job Location: Santa Rosa CA (1st choice) or Plano, TX
We are looking for a dynamic technical leader who can develop and drive EO/IR solutions to join our team. They will have Systems Engineering responsibilities consisting of the synthesis, definition, analysis, development, integration & test of electro-optic systems for airborne, ground, and maritime surveillance systems.
About Sonome EOTechnologies
L3Harris Sonoma EO, located in Santa Rosa, CA is an established pioneer in military/defense infrared technology. A leader in high technology and engineering services, L3Harris Sonoma EO is world renowned for its expertise in the areas of Electro Optical / Infrared (EO/IR) stabilized imaging systems. As a first-rank engineering and production company, L3Harris Sonoma EO is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of highly-sophisticated electronics equipment that is used in a variety of product areas for government, civil and commercial applications. We offer competitive benefits, an alternative 9/80 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand and implement systems engineering processes on programs and projects in accordance with the L3Harris product development process.
- Develop operational requirements, concept of operations (Conops), and architecture concepts
- Understand Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) methodology, the SysML language and its application to architecture and system development
- Lead system modeling, simulation, analysis and trade study activities
- Develop system specifications, ICDs, and allocate to lower level subsystem/item specifications
- Lead/Develop plans and execute system integration and design verification and validation activities
- Lead/Guide reliability, maintainability and supportability (RMS) engineering analyses
- Understand execution of the design-to-cost within the systems engineering process
- Identify, capture, assess, and manage technical risks and opportunities
- Define total systems design and technology that meet mission requirements
- Develop models and architectural guidelines for future technologies
- Understand and apply technical performance measurement on programs
- Create and update essential engineering documents including specifications, reports, plans, technical memos, and presentations
- Coordinate with other functional engineers to develop and test products, resolve compatibility and interface problems with other subsystems
- Provide timely production support and problem resolution
- Technical Acumen – demonstrated through successful product and systems development experiences involving complex EO/IR systems such as optics, visible/infrared detector arrays, detector cryogenic cooling, digital/analog video, signal processing electronics, solid-state lasers, pointing and stabilization instruments, control algorithms, search/track algorithms and image reconstruction/exploitation algorithms
- Requirements Development – demonstrated ability to enter the customer’s environment, discover how the customer will use the system, translate the voice of customer into requirements and trade-offs that can be evaluated via alternative designs; additional skill in successfully influencing system requirements at the end customer desired
- Creative Solutions – direct contribution to technical solutions that integrate multiple disciplines or technologies into non-obvious system architectures that provide meaningfully unique and differentiated capability; requires understanding of current and proposed competitive solutions, key performance indicators, and end-user mission objectives as well as understanding of interplay between technologies and engineering design
- System Modeling, Simulation, and Analysis – a track record of developing models for operational environments, performing trade studies and sensitivity analyses, comparing alternative architectures with system performance estimates, pragmatic estimation of unknown parameters; the skill to use analytic tools such as MathCAD, Matlab, Mathematica, LabVIEW, Excel, etc.
- Test & Verification – can articulate what and how key system performance parameters should be tested early, can outline and write verification test plans for subsystem and system elements, can perform the testing and analyze the results
Basic Qualifications & Education:
- Education – B.S. Degree in engineering or physical science, M.S. Degree preferred
- Experience – 12+ years of related experience
- High level of expertise in at least 5 of the following areas and basic capability in the other areas:
- Requirements management, allocation and flow down
- Front-end concept development for new products
- System-level performance analysis (e.g., image analysis, thermal analysis, structural analysis, end-to-end performance, reliability analysis)
- Image and signal processing, target phenomenology exploitation
- Stabilization, guidance and control
- Hardware integration and troubleshooting
- System-level requirements verification including analysis, testing, & demonstration
- Complex prototype product support (installation, trouble-shooting, customer interface)
- Strong mechanical and geo-spatial comprehension skills
- Understanding of defense products for the environments and platforms L-3 supports
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking abilities with the ability to resolve conflicting priorities
- Must be able to communicate clearly (written and verbal) to technical and non-technical personnel
- Ability to effectively plan and organize projects and manage priorities
- Acute attention to detail and deadlines
- Must be a US Citizen and be able to obtain and maintain US Government Security Clearance
- Some repetitive motion activities
- Visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information
- Able to use a computer/keyboard for extended periods of time
- May be required to lift up to 20 lbs, with assistance
- Able to use office & test equipment and computers/peripherals in a standard office & computer lab environment
- Fast paced, schedule-driven environment; Some stress related to making decisions with ambiguous information
- Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary –Domestic travel up to 30% required
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.