Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Senior Specialist, Software Engineer
Santa Rosa, CaliforniaJob ID IMS20221406-84079
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
- Medical with a High Deductible and traditional PPO plan options, as well as, vision and a full array of supplemental health benefits
- A doctors' service to help with referrals and second opinions for you, your family, and parents
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Fertility treatment
- Subsidized backup childcare and eldercare
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per adoption/$15,000 per employee
- Pet insurance
- No cap to your PTO time (for exempt employees)
- Dress for your day - wear what works for you at work
- Legal plan for you, your family, and parents
- Discount platform
- 9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. employees, effective October 24, 2022.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title:Video Processing Software Engineer
Job Code: IMS20221406-84079
Job Location: Santa Rosa, CA
About L3Harris Technologies Sonoma EO
Senior Software Engineer:
We are looking for a dynamic software engineer to specialize in the development of Command and Control software for our sensor systems.
Experienced professional with proficient knowledge of software development and practical knowledge of project management. May manage projects with general supervision.
Recommends enhancements to systems and processes. Works to achieve operational targets for specific programs and projects with moderate impact on departmental results.
May be responsible for entire projects or processes within job area. May be responsible for providing guidance, coaching and training to other employees within job area. May manage projects at this level with responsibility for the delegation of work and the review of others' work product.
Communicates with contacts within and outside of own department and may occasionally have responsibility for communicating with parties external to the organization (e.g., customers, vendors, etc.). Explains and interprets processes and procedures to others within and outside the job area. May work to justify and gain cooperation regarding processes, practices and procedures
Work consists of making moderate enhancements or improvements to systems and processes to solve problems or improve effectiveness of job area. Opportunities for problem solving and innovation are general, and may require understanding of broader set of issues but typically are not complex. Problems may require understanding of other job areas. Problems are typically solved drawing from prior experiences, with analysis of the issues.
Specific performance examples of these core behaviors are:
- Design, develop, implement and test sensor control interface software
- Utilize published OMS, UCI, XML Schema, reference designs & other standards for product development
- Utilize MS Visual Studio, QNX, Linux, & XMLSpy development tools
- Perform debugging and unit testing of software products
- Perform system modeling, simulation and analysis on complex software problems
- Conduct independent technical investigations of considerable complexity to improve system performance or solve difficult system requirements issues
- Analyze, develop and recommend design approaches to meet requirements of complex systems
- Coordinate with other functional engineers to develop and test products and resolve compatibility and interface problems with other subsystems
- Interface with other departments to participate in specification, design, code, and test reviews
- Follow internal process to ensure proper conformance to established policies and procedures
- Follows and contributes to improvement of the software development process
- Provide timely production support and problem resolution
- Produce timely status reports and projections
- Prioritize and manages multiple projects within design specifications and budget restrictions
- Review literature and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects
- Evaluate vendor capabilities to provide required products or services
- Software development in a RTOS environments
- Ability to work in a multi-discipline environment to create solutions that meet requirements and standards
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Creative, open-minded, a good communicator, and a good listener
- Ability to communicate clearly (written and verbal) to technical and non-technical personnel.
- Ability to logically address, analyze, and resolve problems.
- Attention to detail and deadlines
- Understanding of defense based product environments and platforms
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking abilities with the ability to resolve conflicting priorities
Basic Qualifications & Education:
Requires proficient knowledge of software development typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience. Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 4 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience.
- High level of expertise in at least 3 of the following areas and basic capability in the other areas:
- Programming in C/C++/C# languages (Java beneficial)
- Programming for Linux, Windows & QNX operating systems
- OMS - Open Mission Systems (OMS)
- UCI - Unmanned Aerospace Systems (UAS) Command and Control (C2) Standard Initiative
- OSA/SOSA – Open Systems Architecture/Sensor Open Systems Architecture
- IP networking (Layer 2/3), LAN’s switching and routing
- Video transport and encoding (H.264, MISB and SMPTE standards)
- Video processing algorithms
- Software development process, software design, documentation, quality assurance during development, software unit and integration testing.
- Exposure to Agile Development (Jira), DevSecOps and MBSE
- Complex prototype product support (installation, trouble-shooting, customer interface)
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Government Security Clearance
- Pre-employment drug screening and background checks are standard
- Some repetitive motion activities
- Visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information
- Able to use a computer/keyboard for extended periods of time
- May be required to lift up to 50 lbs, with assistance
- Able to use office & test equipment and computers/peripherals in a standard office & computer lab environment
- Fast paced, schedule-driven environment; Some stress related to making decisions with ambiguous information
- Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary –Domestic travel up to 10% required
Bringing the future into focus…
Headquartered in Melbourne, FL, L3Harris Technologies (NYSE: LHX) is the 6th largest Defense Contractor, employs over 47,000 people worldwide, and is a prime contractor in aircraft modernization and maintenance, Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems and government services. L3H is also a leading provider of high technology products, subsystems and systems. The company reported 2021 revenue of $18B.
L3H Sonoma EO is located in Santa Rosa, CA with an operating office in Plano, TX. L3H Sonoma EO is an established pioneer in military/defense infrared technology. A leader in high technology and engineering services, L3H Sonoma EO is world renowned for its expertise in the areas of Electro Optical / Infrared (EO/IR) stabilized imaging systems. As a first-rank engineering and production company, L3H Sonoma EO is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of highly-sophisticated electronics equipment that is used in a variety of product areas for government, civil and commercial applications.
L3H Sonoma EO is a dynamic and innovative business, open to new ideas and able to quickly transform new ideas into revolutionary technological improvements and new product offerings. We offer competitive benefits, an alternative 9/80 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.