Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Senior Associate, Mechanical Engineer
Santa Rosa, CaliforniaJob ID IMS20221001-74977
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
- Medical with a High Deductible and traditional PPO plan options, as well as, vision and a full array of supplemental health benefits
- A doctors' service to help with referrals and second opinions for you, your family, and parents
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Fertility treatment
- Subsidized backup childcare and eldercare
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per adoption/$15,000 per employee
- Pet insurance
- No cap to your PTO time (for exempt employees)
- Dress for your day - wear what works for you at work
- Legal plan for you, your family, and parents
- Discount platform
- 9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. employees, effective October 24, 2022.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Job Code: IMS20221001-74977
Job Location: Santa Rosa, CA
About L3Harris Sonoma EO
L3Harris Sonoma EO is an established pioneer in military/defense infrared technology located in Santa Rosa, CA. A leader in high technology and engineering services, L3Harris Sonoma EO is renowned for its expertise in the areas of Electro Optical / Infrared (EO/IR) stabilized imaging systems. As a first-rank engineering and production company, L-3Harris Sonoma EO is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of highly sophisticated electro-optical equipment that provide industry-leading solutions to various government agencies.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will join our diverse and talented team of engineers developing advanced, next-generation stabilized EO/IR systems. You will be responsible for the mechanical design, development, modification, evaluation and analysis of complex mechanical, electro-mechanical, opto-mechanical components, subassemblies and systems. You will have technical responsibility for planning and conducting technical projects or phases of projects turning new ideas into revolutionary technological improvements and new product offerings.
Essential functions for success in this role include:
- Designs, fabricates, modifies and evaluates complicated and difficult mechanical and electro-mechanical components, sub-systems and systems.
- Prepares design specifications, analyses and recommendations for presentation and approval through a formal review process.
- Analyzes, develops, and recommends design approaches to meet production requirements for new or improved products and/or processes.
- Interfaces with optical, electrical, and systems engineers, providing engineering analysis (structural/thermal) and CAD design from product inception to released fabrication drawings.
- Provides support for product development and proposals for conceptual CAD layouts and costs estimation.
- Completes documentation and BOMs to support life cycle of new or improved designs.
- Provides support of existing product designs through the production cycle by incorporating engineering change orders (ECO).
- Other duties, as required.
- Technical Acumen – Demonstrated through successful mechanical product and systems development experiences involving complex requirements and multi-discipline input (electrical, optical, software, etc).
- Communication – Effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills working in focused multi-discipline engineering teams. Preparing and presenting project status and results for technical and non-technical audiences for both internal and external reviews.
- Creative Solutions – Direct contribution to technical solutions that integrate multiple disciplines or technologies into non-obvious system architectures that meet often-conflicting requirements. In addition, effectively plan and organize projects and manage priorities with attention to detail and project deadline while maintaining a commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Experience: 2+ years of experience
- SolidWorks modeling and drafting experience.
- Basic knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) and ANSI Y14.5.
- Experience using MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), TK Solver, Matlab.
- Knowledge of analysis techniques including linear finite element (FE) stress modeling, heat transfer, and computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
- Experience with advanced shock and vibration analysis and design for fatigue a plus.
- System development considering machine design and theory of mechanisms, thermal design considerations, and materials selection for demanding environments and applications.
- Knowledge of mechanical part fabrication processes.
- Experience in designs using DC motors, gears, bearings, and flexures.
- Electronics packaging knowledge.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.