Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Lead, Project Engineer
Santa Rosa, CaliforniaJob ID IMS20222106-84720
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
- Medical with a High Deductible and traditional PPO plan options, as well as, vision and a full array of supplemental health benefits
- A doctors' service to help with referrals and second opinions for you, your family, and parents
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Fertility treatment
- Subsidized backup childcare and eldercare
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per adoption/$15,000 per employee
- Pet insurance
- No cap to your PTO time (for exempt employees)
- Dress for your day - wear what works for you at work
- Legal plan for you, your family, and parents
- Discount platform
- 9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. employees, effective October 24, 2022.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Sr Project Engineer
Job Code: IMS20222106-84720
Job Location: Santa Rosa, CA
We are looking for an experienced Project Engineer. The Project Engineer directs an engineering design team in projects throughout the entire life cycle. Finishes assigned engineering projects in accordance with customer specifications and within schedule and budget limitations, coordinating activities of engineering team, contractors, vendors, customers, and business development.
About L3Harris Technologies
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
About Sonoma EO
L3Harris Sonoma EO, located in Santa Rosa, CA is an established leader in Electro-optical systems for security and defense applications. A trailblazer in designing and developing highly engineered, innovative solutions, L3Harris Sonoma EO is world renowned for its expertise in the areas of Electro Optical / Infrared (EO/IR) stabilized imaging systems. Sonoma EO is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of highly-sophisticated systems. We offer competitive benefits, an alternative 9/80 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Documentation for standard process
- Leads engineering business operation processes and implements process changes for productivity efficiency, reliability, and effectiveness.
- Leads a proactive project leadership team in driving innovative technical development and manages projects for tactical operations and avionics products and services. Executes programs with other L3Harris divisions in coordination with internal design efforts and/or executes programs internally in excess of $5M in NRE.
- Is accountable to program managers and interfaces with budget analysts, contract negotiators, engineering department managers, cost account managers, chief engineers, systems, functional engineers, logisticians (ILS), manufacturing personnel, operations personnel, subcontractor/teammate technical staff, and customers.
- Manages and mitigates project technical risks and resolves technical design issues. Conducts engineering project planning (including scheduling and cost estimating), to achieve program plan objectives, including day-to-day project technical execution.
- Is responsible for achieving DFX, cost, schedule and performance targets and for completing project closeout activities.
- Coordinates the collection and dissemination of technical information between/within the company and customer.
- Leads design team in procurement and integration of NPI build.
- Manages the test report and design for test requirements completion.
New Product Development and Proposals
- Leads, in conjunction with Systems Engineering, business development and new capture initiatives by identifying and producing technical solutions to meet customer needs.
- Manages new product development engineering teams producing rapid prototypes to demonstrate system capabilities.
- Leads a technical team in generating project proposals by establishing requirements, scope, technical approach, work breakdown structure, discrete tasks, engineering basis of estimates, and risk identification. Also participates in negotiations with subcontractors/teammates and customers leading to contract award.
- Communicates effectively with team, program management, and direct management regarding technical design status, earned value results, financial summary, project accomplishments, and risks/issues/concerns
- Meets with customers and BD to develop schedules, cost, risks and specifications for new and existing products.
Technical Knowledge/Skills/Abilities Required
- Expert in using Microsoft Office and Project applications.
- Expert in latest project planning/management tools and techniques and risk management and earned value management principles.
- Possess master understanding of requirements management, subsystem and system integration, development/operational testing, logistics/supportability, producibility, configuration management and quality assurance processes.
- Expert with Risk Management tools and techniques.
- Expert knowledge of Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS).
- Master of leadership skills and the ability to demonstrate team building and collaboration across business functions.
- Master communication, organization, and problem solving skills.
- Customer focused.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well in diverse team environment.
- Possess excellent self-management and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple, unrelated tasks in an organized manner with attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Ability to work without direction.
- Acts as a mentor to project engineers.
- Physical Requirements
- Able to sit at desk and work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Able to lift up to 10 pounds and reach items on shelves.
- Able to speak and hear to communicate with employees.
- Minimal travel required.
- Typical office environment.
- Fast-paced and changing environment.
- Able and willing to work additional hours as needed to ensure responsibilities are met.
- Education – Bachelor’s Degree (Masters Degree preferred) in Engineering or equivalent, relevant experience.
- Experience – Minimum 9 years experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 7 years’ experience with a Master’s Degree or equivalent, relevant experience leading a technical team and being responsible for cost, schedule and technical performance. Project engineering/management expert with multi-disciplined technical efforts. Expert in life-cycle product development and in analyzing and resolving complex technical problems relating to operational considerations.
Ability to obtain and maintain a US Government Security Clearance
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.