L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Engineering Technician
Job ID: AS20201305-45511
Job Location: San Leandro, CA
Performs a variety of duties in the electronic, mechanical, electromechanical, research or telecommunications. Constructs, troubleshoots, calibrates, adjusts, tests and maintains equipment, components, devices or systems. Incumbent is experienced and has considerable knowledge of the job and knowledge of scientific/engineering principles involved in the system/project. Works under limited supervision.
Incumbents are responsible for applicable activities, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and activities covered in the previous Technician descriptions, plus the following:
- Performs a variety of complex technical functions related to the support of development engineering activities such as fabrication, set up, operation, maintenance, modification, testing, calibration and troubleshooting of systems, experiments, prototypes or equipment.
- Develops or evaluates test procedures and requirements, determines circuit requirements and develops diagnostics and applications software.
- Generates rough sketches and engineering drawings and special techniques for control and implementation of research experiments.
- Participates in design modifications in the development of experimental circuitry, systems or prototype models.
- Develops or modifies equipment to meet requirements.
- Recommend changes or modifications to improve the operation of equipment.
- Writes or interprets specifications used in designing, maintaining and calibrating electronics systems, chassis or components.
- Prepares reports, charts and graphs for scientific or engineering personnel to use in making decisions on design or experiment development.
- Interprets engineering drawings.
- May perform machining activities.
- Interface with customers and vendors and coordinate with various engineering and fabrication departments.
- Assists in preparation of instructional guides for repairing, calibrating and maintaining equipment and systems.
- Recognizes, follows and enforces safety practices and performs safety inspections.
- May lead lower level technicians.
- 3 Years of experience
- Associates degree. Equivalent experience may substitute for education.
- Use basic hand tools, test equipment, electronic instruments and assembly techniques.
Additional Preferred Skills:
- Apply basic electronic/mechanical theory.
- Read blueprints, drawings or schematics.
- Practical application of arithmetic including arithmetic functions with fractions and converting linear units of measure.
- Use MS Office products.
- Physical Abilities: Use of arms, hands, and fingers to operate tools and computer.
- Use of arms, hands, and fingers to operate tools and computer. Focus on items less than 20 inches away, see in three dimensions, and distinguish all colors.
Other: Work Environment - The noise level in the environment is usually low to moderate. The environment is well lit and ventilated. Hazards - Occasional risk of burns, electric shock, cuts and burns from tooling. Exposure to unpleasant odors and chemicals under safe conditions.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.