Sr Technical Writer - SGML or XML expertise
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Technical Writer
Job Location: USA-UT-Salt Lake City
Job Code: CS20202610-52198
L3Harris is currently seeking a Technical Writer.
The successful candidate will write Operation and Maintenance (O&M) Manuals using Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) or Extensible Markup Language (XML). Writer will validate the documents are accurate during engineering reviews and verify the documents during hands-on equipment verification. Technical Writers are also responsible for coordinating the display of the illustrations or graphics in the document and vaulting the document to Teamcenter. As an XML/SGML developer, candidate will assist others with development, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of XML and SGML projects. Candidate will also coordinate with content teams to establish and clarify source data support suites and business rules in accordance with customer requirements, and research and evaluate hardware and software for purchasing recommendations and deployment strategies.
This candidate should possess:
- Proficient in Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) or Extensible Markup Language (XML)
- Experience creating and integrating style sheets, programming scripts, XML and SGML programming. FOSI programming a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Capability to research and analyze detailed technical processes and extract technical information
- Interacts with CSW engineers, customer representatives, subject matter experts, vendors, customers and technical personnel, and internal graphic art staff
- Ability to recognize and act upon documentation inconsistencies; editing skills
- Experience in project and time management
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Capability to learn new software and producing results in a short period of time
- Competent interaction skills with all levels of employees
- Ability to format documents to meet contract requirements
- Ability to write using proper grammar and punctuation.
- Bachelor's Degree in Technical Writing/English/Journalism or equivalent training and/or work experience. Minimum of 5 years experience writing military standard format preferred
- Strong Technical Writer with experience in SGML or XML content for DOD operation and maintenance manuals. S1000D a plus
- Understanding of IETM and Common Source Database (CSDB) development standards, best practices, and protocols. CSDB management a plus
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) or Extensible Markup Language (XML)
- Adobe Acrobat
- Occasional travel required
- Due to the nature of L3Harris CSW contracts, this position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance
- Out of State candidates must be willing to relocate to Salt Lake City, Utah.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.