Sr Specialist, Mechanical Engrg
Salt Lake City, UtahJob ID IMS20210504-59152
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join our team in Salt Lake City, UT. Essential functions and basic duties include:
- Review customer specifications, perform requirements analysis, develop concepts, generate practical designs through modeling and analysis, conduct formal design reviews, build and test working hardware to demonstrate compliance with customer requirements.
- Design, develop, and test electro-mechanical systems, instruments, projectors and sensor devices.
- Perform research, design, and development of commercial, military, and medical products in all areas related to piezoelectric transducers.
- Perform mechanical stress analysis, electrical tuning, and thermal heat transfer for the generation, transmission, reception, and measurement of acoustic energy in SONAR applications.
- Establish design baselines through detailed drawings, parts lists, schematics, test procedures, qualification plans, and summary reports.
- Resolve parts obsolescence issues related to legacy products.
- Provide advice and guidance on requirements, methods, and procedures to technicians and individuals responsible for the creation of documentation.
- Engineering liaison between Program Management and other functional groups to resolve technical issues regarding design documentation and vendor non-conformance issues.
- Represent Engineering in all internal and external customer engagements.
- Support new business capture through technical proposal and Basis of Estimate cost generation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Acoustic Engineering or Physics, and 6 years of hands-on research, product development, and design experience in related fields.
- A Master’s degree and 4 years of hands-on work experience is preferred.
- A solid working knowledge of piezoelectric technology and transducer devices.
- Experience with modeling piezoelectric transducer performance using COMSOL Multiphysics, ANSYS FEA, or PiezoTran related toolsets.
- Experience in fast paced, continuous change integration environment.
- US Citizenship and the ability to obtain a Secret Government Security Clearance.
- Excellent computing skills, including but not limited to proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Project), Share Point, etc.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Working knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 and GD&T principles and practices.
- Ability to present complex material to an audience of various skill levels, from novice to expert.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to write technical proposals and detailed Basis of Estimates to support new business capture.
- Demonstrated ability to interface well with internal and external customers.
- Ability to complete technical assignments accurately and in a timely manner with minimal supervision.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.