Sr. Manager, Systems Engineering
Salt Lake City, Utah; Millersville, Maryland; Goleta, CaliforniaJob ID IMS20211603-58184
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
***Due to growth, we are hiring in one of several locations: Goleta, CA, Salt Lake City, UT, OR Millersville, MD. This position could also be located close to an L3Harris office with 25-40% travel to Goleta, CA, Salt Lake City, UT OR Millersville, MD.
Join L3Harris a technology driven organization that delivers superior performance to the U.S. Government, our allies, and leading corporations throughout the world. As a Sr. Manager, Systems Engineering, you will be involved with interdepartmental engineering projects, involving cabled ocean acoustic data acquisition systems, while working closely with the engineering design group. This position provides the top level technical support for projects from forward-looking planning, through proposal preparation, customer interactions, and project technical direction. The candidate will lead a team of 10 systems engineers, scientists, and fellows; drives SE best practices such as robust architecture reviews, understanding mission needs & influencing customer requirements, early specification development, performance analysis & allocation to subsystems, coaching hardware and sub-systems engineers. This position provides leadership across multiple prime USG contracts; driving integration of work across sites and divisions; chairing engineering technical reviews; risk management; ensuring successful supplier management thru effective SOWs and Specifications; training & development of a future systems workforce.
- Must have an active Secret clearance.
- Perform operational analysis and develop concept of operations, design and implementation plans.
- Analyze systems requirements from end systems and users.
- Supports development and evaluation of complex system designs and architectures.
- Support the design, development, test, and integration of complex, specialized hardware/software systems installed on airborne and ground-based ISR platforms.
- Provide technical oversight and review support to development groups during product design and development.
- Work with management to develop and adhere to schedules and budgets required to accomplish assigned work.
- Develop and deliver presentations to communicate design activity plans and status to internal and external customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline (e.g. Electrical, Computer, Software, or Mechanical), and a minimum of twelve (12) years of prior related experience or at a Master’s degree and ten (10) years of prior related experience.
- Experience with system engineering standards such as EIA 632 or ISO/IEC 15288 or equivalent.
- Experience with high-level technical project cost estimation in support of ongoing and emergent programs.
- Experience with analysis tools (Autodesk, ANSYS).
- DOORS experience.
- Experience leading large and diverse teams of highly skilled individual contributors.
- Preferred experience with defense programs, government contracting, technical development & management in classified environments, and earned value management.
- 10% travel may be required for several days, occasionally on short notice via auto/air/rail.
- Support for at-sea testing aboard ship may be required from time to time, including overnight.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Requires technical knowledge in design of real time electro-mechanical-optical data acquisition systems.
- Ability to allocate customer requirements to hardware and software components.
- Contribute to the architecture and design of embedded software systems.
- Requires the ability to interpret and communicate engineering plans and specifications (Sound knowledge of engineering theory and design criteria).
- Ability to write a concise report of findings.
- Excellent people skills, with experience leading and collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment.
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to organizational success.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, & presentation).
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.