Sr. Specialist, Mechanical Engineering – Thermal Analyst
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Specialist, Mechanical Engineering - TS/SCI Clearance
Job Code: SAS20213003-58926
Job Location: Rochester, NY/ DC Area/ Palm Bay, FL/ Wilmington, MA
Job Description: Mechanical Engineering – Thermal Analyst
Senior Specialist engineers are technical leaders across multidisciplinary teams of engineers to create the best overall system design including thermal design, analysis, and test of complex systems operating in harsh space and ground environments. Senior Specialist engineers possess in-depth understanding of aerospace thermal engineering technology and payload architectures for spacecraft sub-systems and instruments. These talents are used to direct and oversee teams who specialize in conductive, convective, and radiative analyses, understanding of heat pipes, radiative heat transfer, and thermal control hardware design (thermal blankets, surface treatments, heater tapes, thermistors) and the interaction with optical structures in order to minimize optical errors, and achieve operational temperatures. Senior Specialist engineers proficiently utilize state of the art custom software in conjunction with Thermal Desktop and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) packages and often mentor other Thermal Analysts in the use of such tools.
- Perform thermal design and analysis tasks on complex mechanical hardware including precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical devices, aerospace mechanism design, complex electronics packaging, supporting space-based deployable mechanisms, avionics, innovative thermal and ground based systems
- Program support also includes requirements derivation and verification, system architecture development, loads derivation, trade studies, design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and final design analysis, generation of analysis documentation (including presentation materials, and deliverable data packages), and leading system test activities
- Create and analyze design concepts using FEA & thermal analysis software.
- Development of thermal test plans to manufacture and test payload sensor systems
- Support new business opportunities and mentor junior level staff
- Work multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and adapt quickly to changing situations
- 6+ years with a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree required or 4+ years of experience with a master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree
- Proficiency in thermal analysis tools such as Thermal Desktop (preferred), Sinda, Thermal Fluent, Icepak, etc.
- Experience with thermal vacuum testing
- TS/SCI Clearance
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience with thermal analysis of mechanical and electronic systems, in space, air or ground environments
- Strong analytical skills with emphasis on using and/or directing finite element analysis (FEA)
- Experience with finite element analysis software
- Able to support design decisions with well documented engineering analyses and calculations
- Able to analyze problems and to focus and drive down to the root cause of problems quickly
- Experience as a lead engineer, project engineer, or IPT lead is a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft office tools, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Active TS/SCI Clearance
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.