Scientist, Digital Sensor Engineer (Clearance Level: Top-Secret)
Rochester, New York; Los Angeles, CaliforniaJob ID SAS20211304-59665
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Scientist, Digital Sensor Engineer
Job Code: SAS20211304-59665
Job Location: Los Angeles-CA, Santa Barbara-CA, or Rochester-NY
Oversee and lead the image sensor system requirements, design, development, and analysis tasks for complex novel spacecraft design in a program team environment. Program support and technical leadership over requirements definition, concept generation, material selection, trade studies, design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and final design, design documentation, and assembly/integration and testing.
- Work with and ensure collaboration between a variety of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in various space vehicle subsystems and environments (thermal, EMI/EMC/ESD, dynamics etc.)
- Participate in internal and external technical reviews such as peer reviews, requirements reviews, design reviews, qualification reviews etc.
- Support subsystem and system level electrical testing including data reviews, anomaly investigations and RCCA (Root Cause Corrective Action) closure
- Support program technical and management leadership, as required
- Support and lead technical discussions with customers, as required
- Program support include mission/requirements definition, concept generation, trade studies, design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and final design, component selection, integration, and test support materials selection, design documentation, and collaboration with manufacturing operation for fabrication in a program team environment.
- Author camera electronics and/or image sensor specifications and guide development of subcontract activities
- Direct and evaluate image sensor and camera electronics subcontract technical activities
- Work with a cross-functional team to derive image sensor performance specifications for space-based camera systems, from customer needs and requirements
- Develop camera electronics architectures and concepts for space-based image sensor systems
- Develop space-based camera system radiometric and electrical performance models
- Work with a cross-functional team to develop image sensor performance and environmental testing qualification plans
- Work with a cross-functional team to lead image sensor performance and radiometric characterization testing
- Work with a cross-functional team to architect image sensor assemblies and electrical interconnect concepts to camera electronics
- Travel to site location (Rochester-NY, Wilmington-MA, Ft. Wayne-IN, or Palm Bay-FL) upon need for one month at a time.
- A Bachelor Degree with at least 12 years of experience OR a Graduate Degree with at least 10 years or experience
- Experience in requirements definition and control, spacecraft bus system experience, launch vehicle interface experience, and design for manufacturing.
- Experience leading image sensor performance and radiometric characterization testing
- Active Top-Secret with SSBI Clearance
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Active TS/SCI with SSBI Clearance Required
- Ability to work independently in or leading in a multi-disciplined team environment.
- Ability to perform in-depth technical work while being able to communicate effectively with multiple disciplines, program office personnel and customers
- Organization skills to be able to lead multi-discipline teams and driving to proper technical closure while managing schedule, cost and customer expectations
- Familiarity and understanding of visible and infrared image sensor detector physics and technologies
- Familiarity and understanding of digital image sensor read-out-integrated-circuits and interfacing electronics
- Familiarity and understanding of detector and ROIC manufacturing methods and assembly/integration/test
- Familiarity and understanding of image processing techniques (non-uniformity correction and spaceborne camera calibration approaches, image data compression, bad-pixel masking, color re-construction etc.)
- Ability to architect an end to end image sensor space system with a full understanding of the product lifecycle.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.