Rochester - Lead, Optical Manufacturing Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead, Optical Manufacturing Engineer
Job Code: SAS20210804-59353
Job Location: Rochester, NY
L3Harris in Rochester, NY is looking for an experienced Optical Process/Manufacturing Engineer. Primary Engineering responsibility is for manufacturing support of CNC generation of large optical components. Provides overall engineering support in either, Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD), MRF Optical Polishing and or CNC generation using MasterCAM or similar code generation software for the purpose of fabricating Optical components. In addition, providing oversight during designs, planning and execution of work, and continuous improvement of processes.
- Writing Manufacturing Instructions for Optical component fabrication.
- Work within a cross-functional team environment.
- Investigate, analyze, and solve technical problems.
- Lead in the evaluation and analysis of manufacturing processes.
- Prepares estimates of run times, determine tooling and fixturing requirements.
- Existing knowledge of coating using vapor deposition, MRF processing, Optical processing and or CNC code for the generation of Optical large optical components.
- Work with different groups such as Optical Engineers, CNC technicians, Process Engineers, Facilities, EHS, Program management and Functional leadership.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience.
- Experience working in either, Physical Vapor Deposition, MRF Optical Polishing and or CNC using MasterCAM or similar code generation software.
- Experience with development of production methods and preparation of written production processes and procedures
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Understanding and application of Geometric Dimension and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Willing to work overtime, shift work or extended shifts, as needed.
- Demonstrates appropriate computer knowledge in basic Microsoft Office software applications.
- Active TS/SCI Clearance.
- Experience in the Aerospace or Defense industry.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Effectively organizes and communicates.
- Speaks clearly and concisely, presenting ideas effectively to individuals or groups.
- 5 Axis, AWJ and or CNC generation of optical components.
- Project Manager experience, ability to initiate projects from inception through installation; and project effectiveness evaluation.
- Experience preparing bids and proposals.
- Advanced knowledge of Design for Manufacturability and Assembly (DFM/DFMA).
- Strong mechanical aptitude and general understanding of manufacturing and assembly techniques.
- Previous experience with glass, ceramics and or composite materials.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.