L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Lead, Systems Engineer / Project Engineer
Job Location – Rochester, NY
Job ID – CS20201711-53249
The Project Engineer is a Systems Engineer who will act as Project Manager leading projects that develop custom communications systems around tactical radio and networking solutions that satisfy specific customer requirements for critical wireless communications.
- Manage and lead the design of systems utilizing L3Harris products and other vendor equipment combined with custom-designed mounting solutions. Includes HF, VHF, UHF, microwave, SATCOM, IP networks, and/or custom design peripheral subsystems in both voice and data applications integrated into a variety of platforms (vehicles, ships, aircraft) and systems (C4ISR).
- Lead a team of multi-discipline engineers to the successful completion of the project. May also involve direct supervision of engineers in a matrix environment.
- Develop Systems Engineering Management Plan (i.e., project plan) and ensure the plan is successfully staffed & executed to achieve the expected quality and performance while completing the project on time and on budget. Participate in staffing activities for Systems projects, proposals, and demonstrations across the larger organization.
- Provide complete oversight of the project efforts including: defining the end customer's technical requirements, designing, documenting, and costing of systems, and execution of project deliverables with close coordination with Systems custom manufacturing ̶- including final integration and test of those systems.
- Support the Lead System Engineer in determining the end customer's technical requirements.
- Work with Contract Management to provide requirements and guidance to outside vendors and sub-contractors.
- Manage the project risks with the Lead Systems Engineer and ensure risks are proactively mitigated and tracked during project execution. Handle replan activities as indicated by appropriately directed project scope changes.
- Provide periodic management reports of key metrics including schedule performance, cost at completion, and key performance parameters.
- Responsible for pilot release of all project parts and for the configuration management of all documents for the project.
- Support organizational goals related to quarterly & yearly shipments, minimizing product issues that threaten deliveries, key pursuits/demonstrations/field trials, contractual requirements (PGM, IR&D, EAID), program commitments, and discretionary IR&D/EAID plans.
- Position requires the demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with internal organizations (Sales, Program Management, and Operations) to complete assigned projects.
- Lead proposal efforts including the generation/gathering of detailed cost estimates for non-recurring engineering across engineering disciplines and for recurring enginnering costs from systems custom manufacturing.
Successful candidate will possess excellent technical, interpersonal, and customer skills and demonstrate the capacity to effectively foster team building within and beyond his/her work group.
- BSEE/BSME/BSCE/BSSE and 9+ years of experience or Masters Degree with 7+ years of work experience.
- 7+ years of experience of demonstrated in project management of Systems Design and Systems Integration with relevant technologies.
Preferred Additional Skills:
• Additional skills preferred in one or more of the following areas:
- Highly ethical with experience managing direct reports including Project Managers, Project Engineers, and Team Leads along with the ability to set clear expectations. Able to work with the Human Resources Business Partner to enforce company policies. Comfortable delivering feedback, including performance reviews, to direct reports and others.
- Expertise in one or more of the following: Engineering Project Management (esp. Military-related), Military Tactical Radio Applications and Systems Design (HF, VHF, UHF, microwave, SATCOM), IP Networking, Wireless Voice and Data Systems, Platform and Vehicular/Shipboard Integration, C4ISR systems design.
- Experience reviewing systems project engineering designs and project progress throughout initiation, requirements, design, ordering, build, test, and delivery. Ability to interface with adjacent organizations in support of the execution of these project phases.
- Technical proposal experience to include knowledge and expertise in the following areas: work breakdown structure development, cost estimate/basis of estimate (BOE) development, detailed scheduling, and technical writing.
- Proficiency at writing clear and concise reports and presentations tailored to a wide variety of audiences.
- Experience with process and process improvement in a CMMI and ISO9001 work environment. Experience leading these types of activities.
- International travel experiences, working with international teams and understanding of cultural sensitivity a plus. Foreign language proficiency is also a plus.
- Up to 10% short term international travel anticipated.
- Computer Proficiency – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, and MS Project; experience with MS SharePoint is a plus.
- PMP Certification a plus.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.