Principal, Business Development
Rochester, New York; Herndon, VirginiaJob ID SAS20213003-58930
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Principal, Business Development
Job Code: SAS20213003-58930
Job Location: Herndon, VA OR Rochester, NY
The successful candidate will work effectively with senior business unit executive leadership as well as business development, technical and functional entities for the purpose of achieving segment financial goals by engaging customers, identifying potential business opportunities, and supporting corporate and segment strategic growth activities. This position will be supporting the GIS (Geospatial Integrated Solutions) Business Division in the Space Superiority and Geospatial Business Sector.
The GIS Business Development Manager for the Intelligence and DoD Communities will focus on developing customer relationships and motivating new business within the respective communities. They will be responsible for shaping requirements and promoting L3Harris solutions to address tough customer problem sets. They will be a critical member of the L3Harris Business Development team responsible for key customer relationships for the GIS Business, i.e. relationships with JAIC and NGA. The responsibilities of this position include:
- Lead specific business pursuits and associated investment needed to close on pursuits in new business growth areas.
- Work with the Intelligence and DoD Community Customer(s) to understand key mission problem sets and gaps. Promote L3Harris solutions to drive new business for L3Harris.
- Represent critical Voice of the Customer to the L3Harris Business team to further refine strategic campaigns, technology and investment roadmaps.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key Intelligence and DoD Community Customer(s), i.e. JAIC and NGA.
- Support the collection of competitive intelligence and information to enhance L3Harris understanding of customers and competitors’ strategies
- Support the gathering and analysis of Government Budget data for strategic decision-making
- Work jointly with the Corporate Government Relations team on Congressional Strategic inputs
- Assist capture teams in the preparation of competitive assessments and win strategy development
- Effectively interact with remainder of Business and BD teams including portfolio leads, offering strategists, marketing communications, business development senior leaders, and capture teams
- Support the qualification process of new opportunities and collaborate with other L3Harris segments/sectors/divisions to ensure we provide the best value to the customers
- Translate technical understanding of products and technology for purposes of customer communication and engagement
- Understand and influence the segment strategies with customer perspectives
- Understand the fundamental processes in an end-to-end imaging chain for Geospatial data; from collection to dissemination
- Embrace a culture of “continual learning” to improve our understanding of the technical drivers our existing and potential new customers seek to improve their missions
- Support the day-to-day business rhythm and reporting
- Estimate and manage new business funds and participate in strategic fund planning for internal research and development
- Resolve conflicts in priorities to keep team focused on goals
- Execute campaign strategies relative to business capture planning
- Lead / support business acquisition process milestone/gate reviews; to include opportunity identification, qualification, pursuit, pre-proposal, and proposal processes
- Act as a change agent for the business, ensuring strategies and campaigns are mission and customer focused.
- Create and foster a business acumen culture which embraces a strategic, proactive approach in supporting business area leaders with identifying, actively pursuing and closing new business
- Organize participation in forums/conferences to further position L3Harris as a thought leader in the space and intelligence industry related to specific GIS opportunities
- Represent L3Harris Corporation at customer meetings, Industry related meetings and conferences
- Help identify new markets, unmet needs and opportunities
- Perform analyses to determine how L3Harris is currently positioned within existing markets and develop offerings that allow expansion into new markets
- Work with world leading engineers and scientists to develop research projects to shape future concepts and provide solutions to customers
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 12 years of Business Development experience or post-graduate degree and 10 years of Business Development experience.
- 5+ Years' experience working in the Intelligence and/or DoD Community on AI/ML techniques, Geospatial processing and analytics systems
- 5+ Years' experience with established contacts with major customers in the Intelligence and DoD Community, i.e. JAIC and NGA
- 5+ Years' experience engaging with senior executives at government agencies, major prime contractors, and commercial companies
- Active TS/SCI clearance.
·Understanding and familiarity, and detailed experience with Geospatial, ground processing, and analytics technical capabilities and systems in the Intelligence Community
- Disciplined, self-starting professional who can bring projects to closure with minimum direction, guidance and oversight
- Experience leading programs/projects
- Ability to lead and develop relationships with geographically dispersed people
- Demonstrated ability in competitive analysis, customer analysis, win strategy development, proposal and color team leadership and price-to win analysis.
- Must work independently under limited supervision
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to Travel – up to 30%
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.