Principal, Business Development
Rochester, New YorkJob ID SAS20210203-57405
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Principal, Business Development
Job Code: SAS20210203-57405
Job Location: Rochester, NY
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated background in the USG space market, with a focus on the Intelligence Community, and a specific focus on Imagery Systems. The candidate will work within a high performing team of business development and capture professionals and work effectively with senior business development leadership as well as business areas, Sector leadership, and functional entities.
The successful candidate will engage customers, identify and qualify potential business opportunities, develop pursuit plans, and support capture plans to successfully win opportunities, close on orders, and meet the financial goals and strategic growth activities. This position will be supporting the Imaging Systems division of the Space Systems Sector. Job requires a TS/SCI clearance or ability to obtain.
As part of the business development team and in partnership with business segment leadership, the successful candidate will:
- Win new business with IC space customers and primes.
- Lead and drive opportunity identification, qualification, shaping and positioning for programs across multiple customer communities through identification of unmet mission needs.
- Ensure execution of comprehensive financial analysis, capture strategy, competitive assessments, business case, and price-to-win related to closing new business
- Mature account and contact plans for major customers
- Promote and foster continued business development opportunities with existing customers.
- Expand and grow business base by developing new customer relationships
- Prioritize and manage discretionary budgets associated with division and sector leadership
- Establish close working relationships with Business Area leadership
- Effectively communicate status of activities above to leadership
- Support the day-to-day business rhythm and reporting
- Estimate and manage new business funds and participate in strategic fund planning for internal research and development.
- Execute campaign strategies relative to business capture
- Support business acquisition process milestone/gate reviews; to include opportunity identification, qualification, pursuit, pre-proposal, and proposal processes.
- Work closely with business development teams within other space lanes.
- Participation in forums/conferences to further position L3Harris as a thought leader
- Represent L3Harris at customer meetings, Industry related meetings and conferences
- Bachelor's degree or higher with a minimum of 15 years of business development experience or graduate degree and 10 years of business development experience.
- 5+ Years' Experience supporting capture efforts and programs/projects in DoD and IC, particularly within the EO / Imaging Systems domain
- 5+ Years' Experience Understanding and familiarity with Space-based ISR architectures, missions, and markets, and supporting ground systems
- 5+ Years' Experience with technologies that are applied to ISR solutions (telescopes, sensor systems, integrated payloads, electro-optical and RF systems)
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills; Ability to Travel – up to 50%
- Clearance required: TS/SCI or higher
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Must work independently under limited supervision
- Background with satellites and satellite subsystems and payloads a plus; understanding of the USG / IC Space market and EO / Imaging missions is imperative
- Disciplined, self-starting professional who can bring projects to closure with minimum direction, guidance and oversightAbility to translate technical understanding of products and technology for purposes of customer communication and engagement.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office tools
- Strong understanding of EO / Imaging systems is required. Also, the ability to understand the missions, systems, and subsystems associated with high performance payloads, sensors, and end to end smallsats.
- Ability to understand and influence strategies relative to ISR markets
- Ability to influence the IRAD investment, and look for synergies between IRADs to maximize results while minimizing investments.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.