Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Electrical Design Engineer
Portchester, United KingdomJob ID IMS20230109-105570
What makes a successful team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
A dynamic market environment combined with pioneering technology and a collaborative team, makes every day interesting and engaging.Thomas, Program Finance Manager, Crawley, UK
L3Harris Work Perks
- Private medical insurance and group life assurance
- Benefit allowance to help you pay for insurance
- Options for dental and critical illness coverage as well as a health cash plan and gym membership
- Employee and Family discount programme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Optional partner life assurance
- Generous annual holiday allowance
- Retirement savings plan with employer contribution
- Employee assistance programme to provide advice and guidance on finance, mental health, and more
- Casual “dress for your day” policy
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 50,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Electrical Design Engineer
Job Location: Portchester, Hampshire UK
Job ID: IMS20230109-105570
About this opportunity and L3Harris UK
From 12 UK sites, our team of over 1,400 people deliver unique capabilities across air, land, sea, space and cyber for military, security and commercial customers, worldwide.
L3Harris in Portchester are a market leader in the development, build and integration of systems for a wide range of unmanned marine vehicles with military and commercial applications.
In this role you will be joining a team of talented electrical engineers working on autonomous boat electrical systems including CAN, Ethernet, Radios and general marine systems.
A few of our employee benefits are:
- Flexible working hours and hybrid working where possible.
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays), increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell up to 5 days.
- Private medical insurance with optional family cover.
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution.
- Life Assurance 4x salary (flexible up to 10x).
- Group income protection.
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme.
- Employee assistance program providing mental health and wellbeing support.
What the role will involve:
The responsibilities of the Electrical Design Engineer will include the following:
- Technically the role will require a dynamic and flexible engineer, able to develop designs within challenging timescales and budgets, whilst working with suppliers, having a broad understanding of various electrical manufacturing process including assembly and integration techniques.
- Good commercial awareness with the drive and ability to deliver on time.
- Work well within and team and on own initiative, whilst being able to assist with the development of other team members.
- To undertake design, build and verification activities for electrical designs.
- Demonstrate awareness and consideration for the product as a whole across all departments throughout the full product lifecycle.
- Work closely with Mechanical, Software and Systems team members to agree on optimum electrical solutions.
- To lead on electrical activities, when delegated by the Electrical Design Manger.
- To manage their own activities as delegated by the Electrical Design Manager.
- To contribute to electrical build packs / BoMs etc.
- Support the Electrical Design Manager and inform them where there are possible risks.
- Adopt a professional approach to all solutions to ensure departmental knowledge and skills keep pace with the technology.
- The role requires a proactive individual able work effectively with both internal and external stakeholders, an ability to quickly grasp complex engineering issues and subsequently provide solutions that meet both the customer and business demands.
- Communicate at all levels and present engineering solutions in a clear open manner to allow the business to make informed decisions.
What you’ll bring:
The role of Electrical Design Engineer requires the following experience and skills:
- The ability to work from specifications (Both internal and customer lead) you will be able to develop both novel and modify existing designs in a timely, accurate, budget-compliant and complete manner, taking account of applicable standards, local and company processes.
- An understanding of maritime electrical standards, CE marking and classification societies.
- Carry out engineering tasks without supervision and able complete in a timely, accurate, budget-compliant and complete manner, taking account of applicable standards, local and company processes
- Experience of software packages (e.g. Computer Aided Design tools) currently used within Electrical Engineering, Solid Works 3D, PDM Professional and AutoCAD 2D would be advantageous.
- Open to learn other Hardware Engineering Tools to support Mechanical, Configuration and Tech Docs when required.
- Must be able to flexibly switch between multiple tasks at short notice according to immediate priorities (as directed).
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- Degree qualified or equivalent, or several years of directly relevant experience.
- Incorporated or Chartered engineer or motivated to achieve professional accreditation following suitable training and experience.
- Several years’ experience in Marine, Automotive, Aerospace or equivalent industry.
- Good knowledge of IO and marine systems and interfaces, such as CAN, NMEA, Ethernet and RS485.
- Strong attention to detail and motivation to minimise error, change and rework and strive to achieve continuous improvements.
- Knowledge of marine systems and interfaces, such as CAN, NMEA, Ethernet and RS485 advantageous.
Important to know
Due to the nature of our work many of our roles require a UK nationality and the ability to obtain a security clearance. Applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet the requirement of right to work in the UK and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and will be subject to government security checks.
Thank you for your patience as we transition to a new applicant tracking system. Please be aware that you may have applications in more than one system at this time and, as a result, you may receive communications regarding your applications from multiple systems.