Manager, Systems Engineering
Plano, TexasJob ID AS20211802-56870
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Manager, Systems Engineering
Location: Plano, TX
As a Manager, Systems Engineering, you are in a dual-role manager position, involving both front-line management of a team of SEIT engineers and performance of individual productive work on a program. L3Harris is seeking a top-notch influencer, motivator, and leader who can grow a team of systems engineers while advancing their own career in a management role and systems engineering leader. In the role of systems engineer, the applicant interacts with other systems engineers, and collaborates with our mechanical, electrical, and software engineers in planning, designing, manufacturing, and testing of Radar, RF and Sensor-based systems. As a front-line systems engineering manager, the expectation is that a majority of the manager’s time is spent providing direct systems engineering support to programs and the remainder of their time on functional management.
- Interpret customer needs on individual programs to drive the design through systems engineering processes including developing concepts of employment, use cases, functional block diagrams, sequence diagrams, supporting hardware/software requirements definition, decomposition, allocation, and specifying interfaces
- Identify risks and knowledge gaps early in the development effort so prototype testing and analysis can be conducted to mitigate the risks and close the gaps
- Identify and document interfaces
- Ensure that component/subsystem designs properly integrate and meet system requirements
- Drive engineering process improvements
- Participate in proposals and review cost estimates/proposal packages
- Manage SE resources to meet program needs through allocation of available personnel or hiring new personnel
- Manage engineering overhead budget including career development training and tools
- Manage Systems Engineering staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, planning and training employees. Coach, counseling, monitor, and appraise staff performance.
- Travel at least 10%; support field testing
- Other duties as assigned
- U.S. citizen
- Active DoD clearance; must be able to obtain additional clearances as required
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in Systems Engineering disciplines and the government program acquisition lifecycle, to include requirements definition, creation of requirements verification test matrices, requirements decomposition, requirements traceability, design reviews and documentation, and integration and test
- Demonstrated expertise in Systems Engineering disciplines
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in functional management
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience leading a technical team
- Hands on experience designing and developing radar, RF or sensor systems
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple programs and responsibilities simultaneously
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Advanced degree
- Systems Engineering functional management experience
- Project leadership experience including Control Account Management and Earned Value Management
- Experience with and an understanding of aerospace systems, especially in the development of integrated hardware/software products
- Working knowledge of military specifications and standards
- Experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering
- Experience with design to cost
- Excellent people skills, with experience leading and collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment.
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to organizational success
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, & presentation)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.