Lead, VHDL Design Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Lead, VHDL Design Engineer
L3Harris Space & Sensors in Cincinnati Ohio is currently seeking a Lead Digital Design Engineer with comprehensive knowledge leading complex FPGA developments. As a development lead, this individual will work with a talented team of FPGA designers and be responsible for program execution including requirements management, architecture development, detailed design, and hardware integration. This individual will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge infrared cameras, launch vehicle avionics, and orbital communications platforms; including products like the Mars Rovers, International Space Station visiting vehicles, Counter Unmanned Aircraft Systems, and ultra-high speed and ultra-large format infrared cameras. As an established pioneer in space exploration and military/defense technology, Space and Sensors, is a first-rank engineering and production company.
**This role is available in either Mason, OH (preferred), Pittsburgh, PA or Plano, TX.**
- Product Development /Technical Leadership
- Lead FPGA developments working in cross-functional teams to meet technical, schedule, and design-to-cost goals.
- Maintain and lead interactions with customers and vendors ensuring that developments meet or exceed expectations.
- Leading Agile development methods including estimating, planning, and tracking of tasks, milestones, and resources.
- Effective communication skills working within your development team, program management, technical leadership, and external customers.
- Organize and lead system level internal Engineering Review Boards (ERBs) as well as customer required meetings.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and reviewer for detailed design documents and VHDL code.
- SME on established reusable library utilizing standard streaming and memory mapped interfaces.
- Support bid and proposal activities to generate technical solutions, cost, and schedule estimation.
- Analysis of FPGA power consumption, static timing, clock domain crossing, and radiation impacts across worst-case mission life.
- Technical presentations including internal and external design reviews.
- Support to internal and external production/manufacturing, test/verification, and delivered products.
- Make significant improvements of processes, systems, solutions, or products to enhance performance of job area.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE, BSEET, or BSECE) and minimum 9 years prior related experience OR Graduate Degree with a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs)
- Subject matter expertise in FPGA architectures and VHDL design including at least 9 years of direct experience.
- ModelSim/Questa or equivalent logic simulation tools
- Standard streaming and memory mapped interfaces (Avalon, AMBA, etc.)
- Libero (Microsemi), Quartus (Intel), Vivado (Xilinx) FPGA development tools
- Digital communication algorithm and waveform development and/or Digital image processing and corrections.
- Detailed understanding of digital hardware design, interfaces, and architectures.
- NAND, NOR, and DDR memory interfaces
- GigE, 10GigE, GigE Vision
- High Speed Serializers and Deserializers (SERDES)
- LVDS, RS-422, I2C, SPI
- Agile Scrum development methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in project/task management and technical estimating
- Proficient in leading root cause analysis, troubleshooting complex technical situations, and leading continuous improvement efforts
- Proficient in electronic design for test, quality, reliability, manufacturability and EMC
- Previous experience as a cost account manager (CAM) in an EVMS environment
- Working knowledge of manufacturing, assembly, and test processes
- Investigation and issuance of a government, Secret level clearance is required within a year of hire in order to continue in this position.
- Prolonged sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Ability to regularly walk, sit or stand as required
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.