Chief Engineer 6 - Emerging Technology Programs
Plano, TexasJob ID AS20210203-57384
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Chief Engineer 6 - ETP
Location: Plano, TX
The Chief Engineer (CE) provides technical leadership and oversight of strategic technology development efforts within the Emerging Technology Programs (ETP) business area. The CE will lead a cross functional team of engineers in the design, development, implementation, testing and analysis of complex, next generation multi-function mission systems. The CE is the program’s Engineering Authority and is responsible for technical execution of the program. The position owns the development and maintenance of the Technical Baseline and oversees all technical, schedule, and financial performance of the engineering effort. The CE must be passionate and engaged in rapidly developing and deploying new and innovative, next generation solutions that set L3Harris apart from our competitors.
The Advanced Systems & Technologies (AS&T) division specializes in developing disruptive, next-generation technologies for advanced Unmanned Air Systems (UAS / UAV), advanced radar systems, next-generation weapon systems, and other RF sensor technologies using small company agility and big company experience.
- Responsible for technical leadership embracing agile product development and model-based systems engineering (MBSE) processes to enhance development speed and quality; Leads the execution of rapid learning cycles in requirements development, design, build, integration & test and verification & validation in a design-to-cost and design-for-manufacturability environment
- Responsible for ensuring that all program technical requirements are met and the system meets all validation, verification, and sell-off criteria; Approves all contract deliverable Engineering products (SDRLs/CDRLs) and SSOWs
- Works collaboratively with the CAMs to proactively manage cost and schedule for the engineering effort
- Serves as primary technical Point of Contact (POC) to the customer for all program and/or proposal activities. Serves as primary technical interface for key suppliers and subcontractors
- Develops, maintains, and owns the program’s Technical Baseline (TBL) and ensures that design, development, and artifact generation is in accordance with the TBL
- Establishes and tracks KPPs and TPMs and other applicable technical metrics across the program lifecycle to align the organization and drive decision-making
- Provides accurate, timely forecasts and risk assessments in order to manage and quickly respond to business changes and customer needs; Develops risk mitigation strategies for complex projects; Leads resolution of technical issues and FRBs; Drives corrective actions
- Leads and participates in program reviews including, Independent Reviews, Gates, and program management reviews
- Ensures proper configuration management of Engineering work products and chairs the CCB, and other major review boards
- Responsible for establishing and driving program or program area technical roadmaps and technical objectives that support the company’s overall strategy; works closely with Program Manager, Business Area Chief Engineer, and program leadership in development and execution of program strategy.
- Directs teams into exploration of new problem solution areas with novel concepts, and approaches; champions continuous improvement and innovation
- Responsible for leading technical proposal teams providing technical solutions, development plans, technical write-ups, cost and schedule estimates and the documentation of the basis of estimate
- Coordinates program engineering needs, requirements and status effectively with management and engineering disciplines to ensure that the technical team is fully staffed according the program’s resource plan
- Mentors senior and junior level engineers to develop and enhance skills required by the business
- Travel up to 20%, support field testing
- Able to obtain and maintain additional clearances as required
- Other duties as assigned.
- U.S. citizen
- Active DoD clearance
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant experience, in Radar/RF/Multi-function mission/sensor system requirements development, analysis, design, integration, verification and test
- Experience in successful technical leadership of large (>$20M) technology development program(s)
- Lead author of proposal technical volume with at least $20M in scope
- Minimum of 3 years directly working on multi-function sensor electronics, modes or algorithms
- 3+ years of experience working in platform integration for advanced electronics
- 3+ years of experience working in system architecture development
- Minimum of 8 years of DoD experience
- 8+ years of experience in requirements development, flow down, and traceability for complex electronic systems
- 5+ years of experience leading in trade studies on complex electronic sub-system/system issues and components
- 5+ years of experience and RF background with a working knowledge of antennas, arrays and advanced digital signal processing
- Understanding of EVMS metrics
- Design-to-Cost and Design-for-Manufacturability development experience
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Advanced degree
- Experience in next generation phase array technologies
- Experience analyzing real data (either captive flight or free flight) from multi-function sensors Excellent people skills, with experience leading and collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment.
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to organizational success
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, & presentation)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.