Sr Scientist, Space Vehicle & Systems Architect (RE-LEVEL)
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Sr. Scientist, Space Vehicle & Systems Architect
Job Code: SAS20202209-50863
Job Location: Palm Bay, FL
The Space Vehicle & Systems Architect delivers full life-cycle systems integration and engineering services to meet the missions of its customers. Responsible for the architectural design, development oversight, and deployment of space systems. Responsible for definition of system solutions based on customer current and future needs. Develop system architectures across multiple platforms, mission domains and applications. Accountable for end-to-end systems engineering and integration, engineering documentation, customer engagement, and enterprise coordination. Requires maintaining currency with industry trends and new technologies applicable to Harris products and mission solutions. Works on advanced, complex technical projects or business issues requiring state of the art technical or industry knowledge. Provides technical direction for the development, engineering, interfacing, integration, and testing of payload & bus components of complex hardware/software systems to include requirements elicitation, analysis and functional allocation, conducting systems requirements reviews, developing concepts of operation and interface standards, developing system architectures, and performing technical/non-technical assessment and management as well as end-to-end flow analysis.
- Applies an interdisciplinary, collaborative approach to plan, design, develop and verify a lifecycle balanced space environment system
- Understands the complete mission that customers want to achieve
- Evaluates customer and /operational needs to help define and coordinate system performance requirements, integrate technical parameters and assure compatibility of all physical, functional and program interfaces
- Leads and coordinates various analyses to optimize space system architecture
- Knowledge of bus/spacecraft architectures and subsystems
- Executes technical responsibilities within project cost and schedule constraints
- Resolves cross-functional technical issues
- Assess and provides direction for make/buy decisions and selection of strategic suppliers
- Determines whether requirements can be met with existing capabilities/designs or if new design requirements must be developed
- Provides technical coordination between external customer’s engineers, industry engineers and internal engineering groups to articulate technical issues
- Prepares and presents technical information internally and externally that addresses specific subjects of interest
- Advocates the customer’s critical needs to internal stakeholders
- Provide technical direction for the development, integration, and testing of complex hardware/software systems
- Lead and perform trade studies required to make both tactical and strategic technical decisions for programs
- Lead or participate in technical interchange meetings (TIMs) to manage project execution and resolve enterprise issues
- Provide mentoring, guidance and leadership to novice engineers
- 15+ years with a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Must have an active Top Secret/SCI Security Clearance
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Prior related Space Vehicle/System experience strongly desired
- Experience creating and implementing system architectures and complex mission solutions
- Ability to partner with stake holders and team leaders to identify mission gaps and develop system solutions which provide customer value
- Experience architecting, analyzing, developing, and integrating end to end systems in areas such as Space payload (EO, RF, etc.), Space Vehicle, and Bus subsystems
- Experience applying technologies and capabilities in ways not previously anticipated to solve our customers’ ultimate objectives
- Experience in operating as a prime provider for both exquisite space and small-sat opportunities
- Effective communications skills, interpersonal skills and customer focus desired
- Experience with functional and physical architecture development
- Experience collaborating in a team environment
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.