Senior Specialist, Mechanical Engineering - Composite Structures
Palm Bay, FloridaJob ID SAS20211102-56520
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Specialist, Mechanical Engineer – Composites Structures
Job Code: SAS20211102-56520
Job Location: Palm Bay, FL
This position will be responsible for providing Mechanical Engineering support to customer-funded programs and internal research efforts within our Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Division of L3Harris Corporation. Our Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance solutions serve a broad array of government, civil, and commercial customers by enhancing information superiority, contributing to our national security and providing actionable data for the protection of property and human life. We specialize in high-reliability airborne and space-based remote sensing payloads that offer active and motion imaging and data processing, exploitation and dissemination. We also provide solutions that map and monitor the earth for a variety of commercial and governmental users.
Mechanical Engineer to perform design, development, analysis, and manufacturing tasks on complex mechanical hardware including precision space structures and mechanisms in a program team environment. Program support and technical leadership over requirements definition, concept generation, material and finish selection, trade studies, design sensitivity/optimization studies, preliminary and detailed design, design sensitivity and tolerance analysis, design documentation, Bill of Materials (BOM) management, and assembly/integration and testing. Candidate must have strong proficiency in 3D modeling, design for manufacturing, and ability to work independently or within a multi-disciplined team environment.
In this role the candidate will:
- Lead the design of high-precision and complex Space Antenna hardware as the leader of or part of an Integrated Product Team (IPT). Hardware variety spans machined components, composite structures, deployable mechanisms, reflector-shaping support structure, and thermal blankets
- Leverage high reliability, flight-proven, heritage design concepts in order to produce high quality novel designs within an aggressive timeline
- Create/modify CAD models using top-down modeling (skeleton) techniques
- Interface with outside suppliers/customers and other engineering disciplines to drive designs to closure (Structural, Thermal, Electrical, Manufacturing, Performance, Quality, Configuration Management).
- Present design details at program reviews to customers and independent reviewers.
- Develop and perform testing to show proof-of-concept and/or qualification of new designs.
- Support production operations with design of tooling, test equipment, and shop aids.
- Provide regular status updates to Program Management and Project Engineers on cost and schedule performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 6 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 4 years of prior related experience.
- Minimum 3 years developing space borne mechanical structures or mechanisms
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Strong proficiency in design and 3D modeling of solids, surfaces, and assemblies (primary CAD tool will be Creo)
- Strong proficiency in creation of 2D engineering drawings – geometrical dimensioning & tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5 standards
- Familiarity with structural analysis (FEA) of parts/assemblies
- Professional experience related to the design and manufacture of spaceborne hardware
- Experience in design of space-based mechanical structures, electronics packaging or mechanisms, along with engineering drawing development
- Experience in leading engineering teams from conceptual through detailed design phases.
- Experience building hardware in a high reliability environment, working with technicians
- Experience interfacing with machinist and designing parts for ease of manufacturing processes
- Strong familiarity with component level, sub-assembly level, and assembly level product testing.
- Proficiency with root cause corrective action (RCCA) tools (e.g. 5-why, fishbone)
- Proficiency with risk management and mitigation tools such as Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Experience serving on a Material Review Board (MRB) – evaluate and disposition non-conforming hardware. Development of rework and structural repair procedures.
- Capable of serving as a design lead and/or integrated product team lead (IPTL). Leading and supporting program design reviews (PDR, CDR).
- Familiarity with ISO 9000/AS-9100 Quality Management Systems.
- Familiarity with Lean Manufacturing, 5S, and Six Sigma fundamentals.
- Proficiency with fundamentals of project management (e.g. budget, schedule, technical execution, risk management). Strong proficiency in MS project scheduling.
- Proficiency working with a product data manager (PDM) software, and familiarity with configuration management best practices.
- Training and mentoring of new hires and junior engineering staff members.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.