Optical Engineer (New Grad - Palm Bay, FL)
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Optical Engineer (New Grad – Palm Bay, FL)
Job Code: SAS20202707-48390
Job Location: Palm, Bay
- Determine design approaches and parameters
- Perform system analysis to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints
- Utilize modeling tools and equipment to establish operating data, conduct experimental tests, and evaluate results
- Select components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability
- Perform simulations and present design reviews to peer engineers
- Write scripts to control synthesis and build tools
- Design, analyze, modify, test and evaluate optical communications systems and subsystem level components
- Design, analyze, modify, test and evaluate RF Photonic systems and subsystem level components
- Utilize modeling tools and equipment to establish operating data, conduct experimental tests, and evaluate results.
- Select components and equipment based on analysis of specifications and reliability.
- Perform simulations and present design reviews to peer engineers.
- Work with a technical leader on Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) and ensure successful outcome through program milestones.
- Perform analyses to show compliance to optical requirements and specifications for assemblies, component drawings, etc.
- Provide optical modeling, analysis and metrology support during system alignment, integration and testing
- Perform other unique modeling tasks, such as: spectral tuning/splitting, polarization, phase retrieval, etc.
- Support the development of optical technologies and architectural concepts to support the company’s current and new business opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Materials Engineering, Materials Science Engineering or related field
- GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Knowledge and/or experience with VHDL, HFSS, Network, Controls, RF, Photonics, Modem, EDA, DSP, MATLAB, Communication Systems, FPGA, Aerospace industry or Optical Engineering
- Knowledge of Code V and/or Zemax, BeamProp, OptSim software tools
- Excellent communication, technical writing and presentation skills
- Knowledge of Matlab, Python
- Knowledge of and/or understanding circuit analysis and operational concepts
- Familiarity with various computing environments (LINUX/Windows)
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.