Lead, Systems Engineer - RF Space Systems
Palm Bay, FloridaJob ID SAS20212403-58627
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead, Systems Engineer - RF Space Systems
Job Code: SAS20212403-58727
Job Location: Palm Bay, FL
This position will be responsible for providing Systems Engineering support for space vehicles and associated subsystems across multiple responsive space programs in the Space and Airborne Systems Segment of L3Harris Technologies.
Our Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance solutions serve a broad array of government, civil, and commercial customers by enhancing information superiority, contributing to our national security and providing actionable data for the protection of property and human life. We specialize in high-reliability airborne and space-based remote sensing payloads that offer active and motion imaging and data processing, exploitation and dissemination. We also provide solutions that map and monitor the earth for a variety of commercial and governmental users.
Learn more about the small satellite solutions we provide for government and commercial organizations here: https://www.l3harris.com/capabilities/space
The Lead Systems Engineer will provide engineering services as a technical specialist in a broad field of engineering, research, evaluation, and development for highly complex and technical space-based and airborne aerospace products. Solves complex development problems in area of specialization or in implementing special and/or design engineering projects to a wide range of products, projects, or programs. Uses the application of systems engineering standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques. With minimal direction will be able to specify, architect, analyze, model, establish flow downs and verify designs, test and verify complex engineering tasks in electrical, mechanical, optical, RF, software, systems, and/or hardware components. Presents analysis of designs to Design Review Boards. Participates in and lead proposal teams.
- Be the voice of the customer and lead technically through the product/program full life cycle including advanced R&D, capture, proposals, design, integration & test, verification, and sustainment
- Coordinate with System Integration and Test engineer responsible for the assembly, integration, and testing of payload & space vehicle subsystems including power, attitude control, T&C (Telemetry & Command), C&DH (Command & Data Handling), and inter-subsystem interfaces to ensure all requirements are met
- Perform hardware/software requirements definition, decomposition, allocation, management, verification, and validation
- Work with SMEs to define and ensure interface requirements are properly flowed down to each subsystem and coordinated between subsystems including key suppliers such as for bus components or subsystems
- Define and establish spacecraft technical baseline to meet program customer requirements.
- Work with SMEs to ensure subsystem verification testing and analysis is performed with appropriate modeling of inter-subsystem interfaces
- Participate and present information for internal and external technical reviews including peer reviews, requirements reviews, design reviews, qualification reviews and customer System Requirements Review (SRR), Preliminary Design reviews (PDR), Critical Design Reviews (CDR) and Technical Interchange Meetings (TIM)
- Support subsystem and system level testing including data reviews, anomaly investigations and RCCA (Root Cause Corrective Action) closure
- Support program technical and management leadership, as required
- Support and lead technical discussions with customers, as required
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience
- Experience in a Systems Engineering role in one or more space vehicle subsystems
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary engineering team through system requirements, design, analysis, test, hardware build, delivery and launch
- Active Top Secret security clearance required
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Ability to perform in-depth technical work while being able to communicate effectively with multiple disciplines, program office personnel and customers
- Organization skills to be able to lead multi-discipline teams and driving to proper technical closure while managing schedule, cost and customer expectations
- Ability to identify any gaps in technical coverage to appropriate leadership during all phases of program execution; help fill-in any gaps, when possible
- Experience interfacing directly with customers (both prime contractors and end customers) on resolving in-depth technical issues
- Experience executing commercial, firm-fixed price development programs for space
- Experience with requirements derivation and tracking using DOORs (or equivalent) including requirements verification traceability matrix (RVTM).
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.