Lead, CAD Design
Palm Bay, FloridaJob ID SAS20211702-56772
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead, CAD Design
Job Code: SAS20211702-56772
Job Location: Palm Bay, FL
Our Space & Airborne System (SAS) business unit of L3Harris Corporation, focuses on full-mission solutions for space and airborne domains with defense, intelligence and commercial applications. We specialize in high-reliability airborne and space-based remote sensing payloads that offer active and motion imaging and data processing, exploitation and dissemination. We also provide solutions that map and monitor the earth for a variety of commercial and governmental users
This position will be responsible for providing Design Lead support to customer-funded programs and internal research efforts within our Space & Airborne System (SAS) business unit.
Performs a wide range of CAD design assignments in support of the mechanical engineering organization including the creation of models and/or layout drawings from sketches, notes provided by engineering. This position will lead CAD design tasks assuring that the design documentation complies with the program requirements, organization’s processes and industry standards. Prepares accurate drawings and schematics with proper tolerances, dimensions and instructions. Essential functions include:
- Manages large, complex CAD design initiatives of substantial importance to the organization with minimal oversight or direction.
- Communicates within and outside of the organization to explain and influence changes to practices, processes and approaches.
- Makes significant improvements in CAD design processes, systems, or products.
- Provide technical oversight to more junior CAD designers
- Mentor CAD designer in drafting best practices, tolerancing and standards.
- Provide CAD support (PTC Creo) throughout the product development process
- Generate and/or modify product’s models, drawings and documentation
- Manage and control mechanical digital data files and drawings
- Prepare and incorporate engineering change orders
- Input data and manage hardware structures in a Product Data Management tool
- Identifies problems/issues in CAD design/drawings and provide corrective actions.
- Compliance with command media & standard
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 9 years of prior relevant experience. Graduate Degree and a minimum of 7 years of prior related experience.
- 7+ years experience with 3D CAD tools, specifically PTC Creo Parametric.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Leadership experience working with product design and drafting
- Comprehensive knowledge in the product development process.
- Active TS/SCI security clearance is highly desired
- In-depth knowledge of project management is highly desired
- Strong mechanical aptitude and general understanding of manufacturing and assembly techniques.
- Previous experience in supporting the design of ground structures, mechanisms, electronics packaging, and/or composite structures
- Knowledge of applicable government and industry standards
- Strong understanding of the ASME Y14.5 (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) and ASME Y14.100 (Engineering Drawing Practices), and its application techniques.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.