Lead, Laser Systems Engineer
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Laser Systems Engineer Position Overview:
We are looking for a dynamic technical leader to drive laser design and development. They will have Systems Engineering responsibilities consisting of the definition, analysis, development, integration and test of laser systems for airborne, ground and maritime applications.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned:
- Design/develop system architectures; define key capabilities and performance requirements
- Define system design and technologies that meet mission requirements
- Define system implementation approach and operational concepts
- Support business development with bid and proposal inputs to technical, cost, & SOW volumes
- Develop models and architectural guidelines for future technologies
- Ensure requirements are met and evaluate performance measures
- Perform trade studies, technical risk assessment, technical planning, verification and validation planning and supportability analyses
- Perform integration, test, troubleshooting and qualification (environmental, EMI/EMC)
- Understand and implement systems engineering processes on programs and projects
- Create and update essential engineering documents including specifications, reports, plans, technical memos and presentations
- Coordinate with other functional engineers to develop and test products, resolve compatibility and interface problems with other subsystems
- Provide timely production support and problem resolution
- Technical Acumen – demonstrated through successful product and systems development experiences involving complex laser systems
- Requirements Development – demonstrated ability to enter the customer’s environment, discover how the customer will use the system, translate the voice of customer into requirements and trade-offs that can be evaluated via alternative designs; additional skill in successfully influencing system requirements at the end customer desired; the skill to use tools such as DOORs, Cameo, Jama, Excel, etc.
- Creative Solutions – direct contribution to technical solutions that integrate multiple disciplines or technologies into architectures that provide unique and differentiated capability; requires understanding of current and proposed competitive solutions, key performance indicators and end-user mission objectives as well as understanding of interplay between technologies and engineering design
- System Modeling, Simulation and Analysis – a track record of developing models for operational environments, performing trade studies and sensitivity analyses, comparing alternative architectures with system performance estimates, pragmatic estimation of unknown parameters; the skill to use analytic tools such as ZMAX, Matlab, LabVIEW, Excel, etc.
- Test & Verification – can articulate what and how key system performance parameters should be tested early; can outline and write verification test plans for subsystem and system elements; can perform the testing and analyze the results
Basic Qualifications & Education:
- Education – B.S. degree in engineering, physical science or mathematics, M.S. degree preferred
- Experience – 9+ years of related experience
- High level of expertise in at least 4 of the following areas and basic capability in the other areas:
- Requirements management, allocation and flow down
- Front-end concept development for new products
- Performance analysis (e.g., optical performance, reliability analysis)
- Test planning, test procedure development, test execution, test reporting.
- Laser integration, alignment, testing and troubleshooting
- Requirements verification including analysis, testing, & demonstration
- Project Engineering/Program Management of aerospace product
- Strong optical and mechanical comprehension skills
- Understanding of defense products for the environments and platforms L3Harris supports
- Strong interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking abilities with the ability to resolve conflicting priorities
- Must be able to communicate clearly (written and verbal) to technical and non-technical personnel
- Ability to effectively plan and organize projects and manage priorities
- Acute attention to detail and deadlines
- Must be able to obtain and maintain US Government Security Clearance
- Must be a US Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR
- Pre-employment drug screening and background checks are standard
- L3Harris is an E-Verify Employer.
- Some repetitive motion activities
- Visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information
- Able to use a computer/keyboard for extended periods of timeMay be required to lift up to 25 lbs, with assistance
- Able to use office & test equipment and computers/peripherals in a standard office & computer lab environment
- Fast paced, schedule-driven environment; some stress related to making decisions with ambiguous information
- Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary
- Domestic travel up to 10% possible
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.