Specialist Aerospace Engineering - Modeling & Simulation (active TS)
Oklahoma; Arizona; Utah; Colorado Springs, Colorado; Colorado; Texas; South Dakota; Nevada; New Jersey; CaliforniaJob ID SAS20210203-57430
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Specialist Aerospace Engineering - Modeling & Simulation (active TS)
Job Code: SAS20210203-57430
Job Location: Colorado Springs, CO
L3Harris is seeking an experienced Aerospace Engineer to perform astrodynamics analysis and algorithm development to support national security space modeling and simulation programs. The Astrodynamics/Aerospace Engineer will perform as a member of a top-tier astrodynamics team to develop cutting-edge systems for the space industry. This position works in an agile development environment to develop, evaluate, and maintain space related and other systems. Interested parties should expect to support satellite Space Domain Awareness activities. The engineer will work with program managers, system engineers, and software engineers to design, analyze, and improve systems related to Space Domain Awareness. Analytical prediction may require use of analytical tools, such as FreeFlyer, STK and MATLAB to calculate orbit trajectories, maneuvers, and to establish design reference missions.
- Occasional travel may be required for some projects.
- Takes the initiative in our fast-paced work environment.
- May act as a technical lead for limited aspects of a project.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 4+ years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace or other Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a related discipline. Alternatively, 2 years of prior related experience with a Graduate Degree.
- Current Top Secret security clearance with SCI eligibility and able to obtain SCI/SAP.
- Background in aerospace engineering/astrodynamics theory and practice to include force and observation modeling, orbital determination, satellite characterization, and spacecraft design.
- Foundational understanding of Spacecraft Systems and/or Spacecraft Operations.
- Experience in Modeling & Simulation.
- Experience with astrodynamics modeling tools such as STK, ODTK, FreeFlyer), GMAT, and USAF Astro Standards.
- Experience developing custom software (e.g. MATLAB, Python).
- Experience evaluating and using state-of-the-art technology to solve difficult engineering challenges.
- Experience supporting operational satellite missions; particularly geostationary.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Software development experience in computer languages such as Java, Scala, Python, or other languages.
- Strong background in astrodynamics/orbit analysis.
- Work with aggressive timelines, in a team environment with a willingness to learn and grow.
- Military or Intelligence Community experience. Preference in Space Ops.
- Experience as a member of a cross-discipline team delivering solutions to challenging customer problems
- Experience with engineering practices like the Agile methodology
- Experience in state-of-the-art techniques being applied in the space surveillance domain (machine learning).
- Familiarity with satellite mission planning or analysis in all regimes, particularly geostationary.
- Familiarity with development/validation/management of requirements
- Familiarity with trade studies and root cause analysis studies that drive system development.
- M.S. degree or high in Aerospace Engineering, Space Studies, Mathematics or related discipline.
- Current TS/SCI/SAP.
In compliance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the salary range for this role in Colorado is $69,000 - $127,500 (salary ranges in other locations could differ). This is not a guarantee of compensation or salary, as final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location. L3Harris also offers a variety of benefits including: health and disability insurance, 401(k) match, flexible spending accounts, EAP, education assistance, parental leave, paid time off, and company-paid holidays. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire, schedule type, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.