L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
We are currently seeking an Optical Engineer for our Northampton, MA location.
**This position can be remote with 25% Travel as needed.
Optical Engineers in the Maritime Sensor Division design, develop and test maritime electro - optical systems including periscopes for submarines and stabilized imaging system for surface Navy. Systems include visual, NIR, SWIR, and MWIR wavebands for which optical engineering designs zoom lens, discrete optics, and provide manufacturing support. Engineers also analyze Detect, Recognize, and Identify (DRI) using ssCAM and MODTRAN. Insure quality through adherence to the Quality Systems Manual, applicable Standard Work Instructions and other standards invoked internally or contractually. Adhere to budget and schedule commitments.
- Design and develop optical systems (thermal and visual) and components in accordance with applicable specifications and other mechanical, environmental and electrical requirements.
- Work with other engineering groups, the project engineer, manufacturing and other departments to insure that all contractual and other project requirements related to optical performance are fulfilled.
- Design and detailing of multiple focal length high-resolution visual, near infrared, and short wave infrared optical systems.
- Design and detailing of multiple focal lengths, mid wave and long wave, cooled and uncooled infrared imaging systems.
- Performing in-depth optical tolerance, alignment and risk mitigation analysis.
- Creation and approval of optical lens and component drawings that conform to current military, ISO and/or ANSI specifications.
- Work closely with mechanical engineers to ensure the proper mounting and positioning of optical elements.
- Work closely with purchasing and optical vendors to ensure the procurement of quality optical components.
- Contribute to the development of pragmatic optical alignment procedures and support the production floor on the proper execution of such procedures.
- Contacts are primarily with immediate supervisor, project leaders, and other professionals in the section or group.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, though, practicable, and consistent with organization objectives.
- May interface with customers to present design reviews including design trade-offs and defending analysis
- Effective communicator
- Bachelor of Science in Optical or Physics Engineering
- 5+ Years of experience not including internships
- Experience using Code V or Zemax
- Meets eligibility requirements to access US classified information
Preferred Additional Skills:
- MODTRAN, ssCAM, CREO
In compliance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the salary range for this role in Colorado is $65,500 - $122,000. This is not a guarantee of compensation or salary, as final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location. L3Harris also offers a variety of benefits including: health and disability insurance, 401(k) match, flexible spending accounts, EAP, education assistance, parental leave, paid time off, and company-paid holidays. The specific programs and options available to an employee may vary depending on date of hire, schedule type, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.