L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Mechanical Buyer
Job Code: PRP3
Job Location: Northampton, MA (this role can telecommuter)
A Procurement Specialist 3 is deemed the Company representative and liaison responsible for interaction with the Supplier base. They have the responsibility of obligating or committing the Company by entering into Purchase Order agreements. These Purchase Orders represent the contractual vehicle by which Suppliers shall meet specific requirements and delivery demands levied upon them within this agreement. In addition to requirements and delivery schedules, the Buyer will negotiate price, payment and other terms and conditions necessary to establish a Purchase Order, along with maintaining proper documentation in support of this effort. Other Supplier interaction involves Quoting, Expediting, the returning of any non-conforming Material and overall Supplier oversight including Supplier visits.
- Possess a clear and substantial understanding of supply base management, i.e., the most advantageous utilization of qualified suppliers in support of the Division’s goals and objectives. Maintain positive relations with all suppliers. Make periodic visits to suppliers. Seek out and recommend new sources of supply.
- Maintain effective communication with all departments with regard to cost of materials, delivery status, cost reduction proposals, technical problems and solutions, and all other issues affecting the continuity of material supply. Take lead role in work with Engineering in support of cost reduction and value analysis efforts. Propose and execute cost improvement wherever possible.
- Perform a wide range of procurement duties involving all types of parts, components, raw materials and service for assigned commodities.
- Work from approved requisitions, place orders with qualified suppliers, give consideration to price, quality and delivery. Secure competitive quotations when possible. Support each procurement with adequate documentation as required.
- Perform expediting and administrative functions where appropriate, insuring timely delivery and quality consistent with requirements. Maintain market condition awareness and new product information.
- Possess competent production control skills in order to generate correspondence, charts, reports and data as required.
- 5+ years production/material control/planning knowledge or experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, equivalent experience considered
- Able to work independently, prioritizing work to meet objectives and expectations accurately and efficiently
- Excellent written & verbal communication is required. Must possess strong negotiation skills
- Ability to represent the organization as a prime contact on contracts or projects. Able to work with collaboratively with all levels of the organization. Interacts with senior internal and external personnel on significant matters often requiring coordination between organizations
- Material Requirement Planning (MRP) experience desired, preferably with Deltek Costpoint
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to investigate issues and problem solve
- Ability to utilize systems to report program status
- Highly organized
- Strong attention to detail
- Sense of urgency
- Must meet eligibility requirements to access US classified information
- Some travel to suppliers may be needed
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.