Fraud Awareness Message
Fraudsters have been known to attempt to use our name to trick job seekers with fake employment opportunities. This type of scam is normally carried out through fake websites, job postings, chat applications, or email accounts claiming to be from L3Harris. To help spot these scams, remember that during our formal recruitment process, L3Harris will NOT (1) ask you for money; (2) offer to send you a check before doing any work; (3) require you to provide sensitive personal information early in the process or sensitive information about your previous employer; (4) send you emails from free commercial services (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail).
If you have been contacted by anyone representing themselves as being from L3Harris and are concerned about their legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at staffing@L3Harris.com .
If you believe you have been scammed, contact local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission here. L3Harris has no responsibility for fraudulent job offers and advises candidates to follow the guidance provided above.
Lead, Optical Engineer
Northampton, MassachusettsJob ID IMS20222605-83127
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working with the L3Harris's engineering team, you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Flexible work schedule, paid overtime, cool technology, no micromanagement, nice campus, fun co-workersSystems Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
- Medical with a High Deductible and traditional PPO plan options, as well as, vision and a full array of supplemental health benefits
- A doctors' service to help with referrals and second opinions for you, your family, and parents
- 4 weeks of paid parental leave for moms and dads
- Fertility treatment
- Subsidized backup childcare and eldercare
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per adoption/$15,000 per employee
- Pet insurance
- No cap to your PTO time (for exempt employees)
- Dress for your day - wear what works for you at work
- Legal plan for you, your family, and parents
- Discount platform
- 9/80 work schedule available for most U.S. employees, effective October 24, 2022.
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Lead, Optical Engineer
Job Code: OTP5
Job Location: Northampton, MA
Optical Engineers in the Maritime Sensor Division design, test and integrate visual through MWIR imaging systems for maritime applications. Optical engineering is responsible for deriving performance requirements, completing lens design and analysis, as well as supporting test, integration and production. Ensuring quality through adherence to the Quality Systems Manual, applicable Standard Work Instructions and other standards invoked internally or contractually. Adhering to budget and schedule commitments. This key role will provide technical insight for our existing technologies and develop new technologies to capture and lead new programs with our customers.
- Provide technical leadership to a team of optical engineers
- Experience integrating and validating electro-optical and opto-mechanical systems
- Design and develop optical (thermal and visual) components in accordance with applicable specifications and other mechanical, environmental requirements
- Work with other engineering groups, the project engineer, manufacturing and other departments to ensure that all contractual and other project requirements related to optical performance are fulfilled.
- Lens design and detailing of visual, near infrared, and short wave infrared optical systems.
- Lens design and detailing mid wave infrared imaging systems
- Performing in-depth optical tolerance, alignment and risk mitigation analysis.
- Creation and approval of optical lens and component drawings that conform to current military, ISO and/or ANSI specifications.
- Work closely with mechanical engineers to ensure the proper mounting and positioning of optical elements.
- Work closely with purchasing department and optical vendors to ensure the procurement of quality optical components.
- Knowledge of imaging performance tests and criteria, as well as familiarity with of common test equipment such as collimators and interferometers
- Contribute to the development of pragmatic optical alignment procedures and support the production floor on the proper execution of such procedures.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, though, practicable, and consistent with organization objectives.
- May interface with customers and senior management to present design reviews, design trade-offs and analysis
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
Qualifications: (refer to Career Framework)
- Bachelor of Science in Optical or Physics Engineering
- 8+ Years of experience not including internships
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.