Manager, Software Engineering / Group Leader
North Amityville, New YorkJob ID SAS20212603-58718
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Manager, Software Engineering / Group Leader
Job Code: SAS20212603-58718
Job Location: North Amityville, NY
L3Harris Technologies is seeking a highly motivated and innovative candidate for a Software Group Lead (Manager) position to oversee a department of Software Engineers working on diverse projects and assignments in North Amityville, NY. This position requires the candidate to work in a dynamic environment in which changing program priorities will require the candidate to adapt quickly to new program needs. During peak periods, the candidate may be required to work after hours to support team goals.
The Software Group Leader position is responsible for the oversight, mentoring, and development of a department of Software Engineers and their assignment to, and oversight of, projects that they are assigned. This position requires the candidate to be able to handle and support different project and corporate demands as needed daily.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Performing semi-annual performance appraisals
- Performing yearly salary reviews and proposing salary increases
- Ensuring all L3Harris assigned training is completed on-time
- Ensuring Staff members follow all L3Harris rules and guidelines
- Approving weekly time cards
- Assigning Engineers to projects
- Ensuring Software Engineers assigned to projects complete tasks on-time and on-budget with acceptable quality
- Perform software architecture skills with knowledge and experience with the development of real-time multi-tasking programs and using Real-Time Operating Systems
- Supporting proposal activities will travel to support product lines as needed perform project activities within the environment specified, above
- Develop effort estimates
- Develop Software schedules
- Develop written proposal sections
- Support negotiations as necessary
- Providing technical leadership to Software Staff members
- Mentoring and developing Software Staff members capabilities
- Reviewing weekly status reports and providing staff members with guidance, as needed
- Reporting to Project Management, Software Management and Leadership the status of Software activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field with 9 years’ experience or Master’s with 7 years’ experience.
- 5- 9 years of Software Project Leadership or Group Leader experience
- 5 years’ experience in development of proposal estimating
- Experience with C/C++ programming skills
- Object Oriented Design patterns
- Generic Programming
- Templated Classes
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Secret Clearance
- Strong inter-personnel skills
- Ability to work with different personalities
- Ability to handle and resolve difficult situations involving staff and project management
- Strong written and communication skills
- Ability to react quickly to changing priorities and needs
- A strong track record of successful program performance
- Be able to switch between different projects and priorities daily as needed
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.