Pipefitter / Brazer
Norfolk, VirginiaJob ID IMS20212004-59936
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Pipefitter- Brazer
Job Code: FBSD
Job Location: Norfolk, VA
Lays out, assembles, installs pipe supports, and piping applying knowledge of system operation. Following blueprints, selects type and size of the pipe, and related materials and equipment, for example, supports, hangers, and hydraulic cylinders, according to specifications. Inspects work sites to determine the presence of obstructions and to ascertain that holes cut for pipe will not cause structural weakness. Plans installation to avoid obstructions and to avoid interfering with the activities of other workers. Cuts pipe, using saws, pipe cutter, hammer and chisel, cutting torch, and pipe cutting machine. Threads pipe, using pipe threading machine. Bends pipe, using pipe bending tools and pipe bending machines. Assembles and installs a variety of metal and nonmetal pipes, tubes, and fittings, including iron, steel, copper, and plastic. Connects pipes, using threaded, caulked, soldered, brazed, fused, or cemented joints, and hand tools. Secures pipes to structure with brackets, clamps, and hangers, using hand tools and power tools.
The following are the usual major job duties, but this description does not preclude the performance of other duties by the incumbent, nor the question being raised on the proper rate for the assignment:
- Receive work assignments from supervision.
- Read and follow safety regulations and procedures including drawings, change notices, operation sheets, specifications, and work authorizations.
- Assemble, level, and fit preformed and straight pipe, flanges, fittings, valves, and hardware where parts, locations, and methods are established.
- Measure, cut and thread tubing and piping according to detail drawings and information.
- Measure, cut, and bend by hand tubing to detailed drawings and information or from preformed samples.
- Clean piping and tubing arrangements for welding.
- Make proper time charge entries and record data as required.
- Identify parts in accordance with the method specified.
- Maintain tools, equipment, and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Perform other work of equal or lower classification as required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of shipboard experience in the installation, maintenance, and repair of high energy piping systems onboard ships.
- Possess practical knowledge of pipe fitting equipment, sizes, and schedules; applying elementary mathematics and physics principles; planning and laying out work; and fabricating and installing flat plate, pipe, and special fitting (i.e. Lok-Ring) aboard ships.
- Must be able to pass braze qualification test IAW NAVSEA 0900-LP-001-7000, Para 220.127.116.11.b, Ultrasonic NDT inspection standard.
- Performing layout from drawings, specifications, and oral instructions; and ability to read and interpret structural material identification symbols/abbreviations, weld symbols, and drawing terminology and layout.
- Travel may be required, up to 25% of the year.
Qualified applicants must be able to work aboard ships, climbing, bending, and working in confined spaces. Must be a U.S. citizen and be eligible for a government security clearance. Drug testing required before hiring.
Five (5) years’ experience in Auxiliary systems, including; HM&E system repair, installation, modification, and testing of Navy equipment or systems.
Level of Education:
- Graduate of high school, GED, trade school, or industrial school.
Supplemental vocational training beyond high school in shipboard installation trade desired
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.