Mechanical Engineering Manager- Engines
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: MechanicalEngineering Manager– Engines
Job Code: AS20212303-58493
Job Location: Combat Propulsion Systems – Muskegon, MI
Job Description: The Engine Mechanical Engineering Manager reports to the Sr. Engineering Manager for Engines and is responsible for managing the Mechanical Product Engineering staff for Engines and Powerpacks. Projects range in scope from advanced research and development of future products to failure analysis and incremental improvements to existing products.
- Hiring, training / developing, and mentoring the Engine Mechanical Engineering staff.
- Identifying deficiencies and developing functional improvements for the Engine Mechanical Engineering team.
- Staffing ME projects based on manpower needs.
- Providing technical guidance for ME projects and production support activities.
- Writing and enforcing ME policies and procedures.
- Conducting performance reviews for the Engine ME staff.
- Reviewing & approving ME labor and material estimates.
- Establishing and managing a department budget.
- Leading special projects, proposals, and contributing to CPS’s overall strategy regarding ME products and capabilities.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 9 years of experience required or a Master’s degree with 7 years of experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in product design and development.
- Familiarity with engines and other drivetrain components & systems.
- Experience with CAD and engineering analysis software (FEA, CFD, etc.).
- Experience with GD&T and drawing standards.
- Proven ability to drive organizational changes / improvements.
- Ability to manage and organize multiple project tasks to meet established deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong Interpersonal skills and ability to work well with internal resources and external suppliers & customers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- The position may require some domestic and international travel. (Up to approximately 10%).
- Must be able to obtain DOD Security Clearance.
- Must be able to move freely within the manufacturing and lab environment with reasonable accommodation.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- In depth knowledge of engines and other drivetrain components & systems.
- Experience with the integration of power packs into vehicles.
- Product knowledge of L3Harris AVDS engines.
- Experience using Creo, GT Suite, Cockpit, Matlab / Simulink, ANSYS, and/or ETAS-INCA software packages.
- Familiarity with dynamometer and other related engine / powerpack testing.
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes (design for manufacturing).
- Experience managing the design and development of products.
- Experience managing experienced professionals.
- Experience managing department budgets and creating & tracking department metrics.
- Experience with improving and creating department process and procedures.
- Work experience at a military or aerospace company.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.