Director, Continuous Improvement
Millersville, Maryland; Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaJob ID IMS20211304-59646
What makes a successful Business and Operations team member at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
My favorite part of working for L3Harris is knowing that the parts that I procure go into products that help save lives.Lizzie, Procurement Associate, Rochester, NY
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Director, Continuous Improvement
Location: Philadelphia, PA or Millersville, MD
The primary role of the Director, Continuous Improvement is to drive a culture of improvement across all the divisions contained within the Maritime Sector. This will include aligning Division leaders on how to manage and lead in a high change and high improvement environment; developing and executing Strategic Goal Deployment (SGD) at Sector and Divisional Levels; identifying, training and then coaching and mentoring Green Belt (GB) and Black Belt (BB) personnel through projects to ensure delivery in line with stated benefits and more importantly in line with SGD. Furthermore, the candidate must have the ability to diagnose business issues and put plans in place to address them via Kaizen events, GB / BB projects or by “Just Do Its” (JDI’s).
The candidate will also be responsible for establishing robust Business Management Processes across the Sector that fit the divisional business model but also drive efficiency and effectiveness; this may include SIOP, Ops Reviews, Business Development Reviews and daily stand-ups in all functions. Finally, the candidate will be responsible for developing a CI Roadmap that aligns to L3Harris’s corporate and Segment goals, is appropriate for the maturity of all divisions but is a stretch that will drive behaviors. This position reports to the Sector Sr. Director Operations.
- Develops and drives a continuous improvement roadmap at both the sector and Division levels
- Partners with Divisions and functions to identify and capture process improvement opportunities
- Participate as a member of each Division’s Continuous Improvement team driving results throughout the Divisions and sector
- Facilitates continuous improvement events
- Drive efforts to identify and coordinate the planning for Kaizen events and projects; including objectives, root cause analysis, tool identification and team structure
- Ensures follow up actions are addressed from continuous improvement events
- Make effective decisions that drive Sector performance
- Develops training material as required to support continuous improvement activities
- Own facilitation of monthly Operations and Strategic Goal Deployment reviews, coordinate this across all divisions.
- Develop each of the Divisional CI Leads so that they could become Sector CI Leads
- Manage budgets & expenses for Strategic Initiatives, and e3 Continuous Improvement objectives at the Sector Level
- Perform other related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES (KSAs)
- Workshop and Facilitation Skills
- Understanding of Lean Principles and 6 Sigma tools
- Strong problem-solving skills with ability to assess business priorities
- Takes initiative to follow up on open tasks
- Able to define Sector needs and plan accordingly
- Excellent MS Office skills
- Capability in performing analysis as well as handling multiple projects.
- Proficiency in time and project management, manage multiple priorities with speed and accuracy.
- Meeting organization skills including large group meetings.
- The ability to influence Leaders through a data driven approach to problem solving
- Superior communication skills
- Travel extensively throughout North America
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree relevant to role and responsibilities of job requirements preferred
- Minimum of 10+ years operations, Quality Management or related work experience and 5+ years continuous improvement experience
- Lean and Six Sigma implementation experience
- Demonstrated ability to effectively teach, mentor, and coach on continuous improvement programs
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong collaborative work ethic and ability to build and maintain relationships at various levels of the organization
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.