Free Space Optical Network Engineer-TS.SCI
Melbourne, FloridaJob ID SAS20212801-55767
On the L3Harris team, your job is to secure the world. We don’t work here just for the advanced technology and equipment: We work here because we know what – and who – we’re protecting. From families to the intelligence community, and from our climate to our men and women in uniform – we’re making the world a safer place. Working in Software with L3Harris you'll join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work in a fast-paced environment with high expectations, global scope, and a collaborative team setting.
What makes a successful Engineer at L3Harris?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical Thinker
- Detail Oriented
I love my job because every day there’s a new problem to tackle, a new skill to learn and an awesome team that has my back.Heather S., Engineer
L3Harris Work Perks
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 48,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Free Space Optical Network Engineer-TS.SCI
Job Code: SAS20212801-55767
Job Location: Melbourne, FL
This senior WAN space and terrestrial expert simultaneously support multiple programs, IRADs, and special projects as the segment’s Subject Management Expert (SME). Develops innovative, complex architectures and models them, leading a team of engineers to execute all aspects of their design. Engages on a continuing basis with internal and external government customers on a regular basis. Advises management on networking business strategy and roadmaps the introduction of new networking technologies as part of strategic planning efforts. Possesses expert knowledge of OTN and CCSDS FSO standards and technologies; participation in the generation of the standards is very desirable. Knowledgeable of digital twinning and MBSE; able to innovate and evolve this knowledge, applying improved MBSE to L3Harris proposals, programs, and R&D to increase L3Harris’ competitive advantage.
- Execute established systems and network engineering processes relevant to architecting, designing complex space and terrestrial wide area networks and the development of custom networking equipment.
- Management systems and management system protocols such as IETF SNMPv3, NETCONF, and SFTP as well as SMIv2 and YANG information modeling.
- Network timing and synchronization architectures, protocols, products, and standards including applying them to space network node position, navigation, and ranging.
- Apply ITU-T linear, ring, and mesh protection architectures to complex hybrid wide area networks.
- Engineer high availability, low data loss, and low latency in complex hybrid space and terrestrial wide area networks.
- Model network systems using SysML.
- No Magic modeling applications, especially MagicDraw SysML.
- Architect and design Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV), Service Function Chaining (SFC), & application virtualization capabilities.
- Conceptualize and articulate to others the inter-relationships of complex network topologies involving multiple layers of network overlays, tunnels, and network virtualization.
- Stay current with latest developments in networking theory, technologies, products, and standards; serve as the segment SME in these areas, generating strategic planning input.
- Work is expected to be conducted on-site.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum 12 years of prior related experience or graduate degree and a minimum of 10 years of prior related experience.
- Active TS/SCI security clearance required.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Significant knowledge of CCSDS Free Space Optical (FSO) and ITU-T Optical Transport Network (OTN) technologies and the standards specifying them, especially ITU-T OTN Recommendations such as ITU-T OTN G-Series Recommendations G.709, G.798, G.870, G.872, G.874.
- Knowledge of ITU-T timing and synchronization recommendations.
- Strong familiarity with stack profiles, Protocol Implementation Conformance Statements (PICS), Managed Object Conformance Statements (MOCS), Managed Relationship Conformance Statements (MRCS, and ITU-T tabular use case methodology (example: ITU-T M.37XX).
- Strong familiarity with IEEE Time Sensitive Networking (TSN) and IETF Disruption Tolerant Networking (DTN).
- Experience with UML real time extensions, e.g. Modeling and Analysis of Real Time and Embedded Systems (MARTE), is very desirable.
- Experience modeling management information using YANG.
- Proficient in the design of multi-parameter Class of Service (COS) mechanisms in conjunction with a distributed control plane.
- Experience with command line SNMP and SNMP based Network Management tools.
- Good understanding of the physical aspects of network equipment (power options, cabling, XFP/SFP, Copper, Fiber, Racks, etc.), especially in terms of space vehicle Size Weight, and Power (SWAP) constraints.
- Design and Implementation of network caching and WAN optimization technologies.
- Previous experience supporting DoD/IC/Government customers.
- Significant knowledge of routing protocol configuration and functional aspects especially as applied to space networks and hybrid space-terrestrial networks including segment routing.
- Experience with bandwidth monitoring including Netflow, NetFlow Analyzers, and Ethernet and OTN test sets
- Good fault isolation/identification skills and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of load balancing techniques and network address translation.
- Knowledge of packet capture, protocol analysis, and deep packet inspection using sniffers.
- Strong experience leading systems engineering and network engineering teams spanning proposal, program, and R&D activities.
- Lead and contribute to timely issue closure of network troubleshooting and analysis efforts.
- Have familiarity with quantum communications and X-Ray communications networking.
- Familiar with unit testing, integration testing and end to end system testing, writing test procedures, as well as formal and informal peer review processes.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; mastery of Microsoft office applications including Visio.
- Knowledge of intellectual property generation and protection coupled with a successful record of invention.
- Support/facilitate customer meetings and ensure compliance with project requirements.
- Self-motivated, able to work well independently and within inter-disciplinary engineering teams.
- Experience engaging government customers on a continuing basis.
- Active TS/SCI with Poly highly desired.
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.